Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to work in a hardware store and I still have a healthy relationship with those guys and gals. As such, whenever somebody asks them for help with small engine repair, they give out my card and I get a lot of calls.

This last call came from the manager himself. He told me that a snow thrower was brought in and he tinkered with it for an hour and a half but to no avail. I don't know why he bothered at all - he really doesn't do much of that. Finally he talked the guy into an new unit. The manager called me and asked if I wanted the old one. Uh... yeah!

He didn't tell me what brand it was but when I got there....Simplicity 860! I really like Simplicity machines.

After draining the FULL fuel tank, I found mostly water with a thin layer of old gasoline on top. In addition, I cleaned the carburetor and was able to get it started. However, it was running pretty rough. So I installed a new aftermarket carb that I got off of Ebay for $22. Now it runs like a champ.

So now my main machine is my Bolens 824, and my backup is the new/old Simplicity 860.:grin:

·
Premium Member
4,811 Posts
I used to work in a hardware store and I still have a healthy relationship with those guys and gals. As such, whenever somebody asks them for help with small engine repair, they give out my card and I get a lot of calls.

This last call came from the manager himself. He told me that a snow thrower was brought in and he tinkered with it for an hour and a half but to no avail. I don't know why he bothered at all - he really doesn't do much of that. Finally he talked the guy into an new unit. The manager called me and asked if I wanted the old one. Uh... yeah!

He didn't tell me what brand it was but when I got there....Simplicity 860! I really like Simplicity machines.

After draining the FULL fuel tank, I found mostly water with a thin layer of old gasoline on top. In addition, I cleaned the carburetor and was able to get it started. However, it was running pretty rough. So I installed a new aftermarket carb that I got off of Ebay for $22. Now it runs like a champ.

So now my main machine is my Bolens 824, and my backup is the new/old Simplicity 860.:grin:
i was wondering what your experience is with after market carbs from ebay. I work only with Honda's and pay anywhere from 28-63 dollars for OEM Honda carbs.

ebay has them from 9-17-23 for chinese clones. not sure if i want to take the chance and do a re-carb 2-3 times.

my dad used to alway say "buy cheap - buy twice"

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was wondering what your experience is with after market carbs from ebay.
I recently fixed a Honda HS35 and I did put a OEM carb on that. I think the Honda snow blowers and throwers rank high enough to get OEM parts. And the owners know this and have always given me the go ahead to do so.

But in the summer, when I have to fix a Honda mower, even the Honda carbs are only $13 from my local supplier. Other Honda parts can get pricey though.

In regards to the Honda clones, Tecumsehs and Briggs, I often use aftermarket carbs with good results. But I am honest with my customers and I don't charge for OEM unless I use OEM.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
If you had just the Bolens, you certainly were due for a back-up machine. Just wondering how the tank was mostly full of water . . . :smiley-confused013:

·
Registered
842 Posts
seen that a lot. people leave the caps off or loose on the storage can, weeks or months later they fill up a machine with a can full of water that the ethanol has sucked up out of the air, water being heavier then gas settles right to the tanks bottom , the engine stops running,

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My new/old Simplicity now runs great. However, I found another surprise in the fuel tank. When I went to re-fuel, I noticed something in the tank that I did not previously see. With my forceps, I fished out a piece of plastic - it was a 4 inch handle from a laundry basket!

I know it was from a laundry basket because I have the same laundry basket but mine is not missing any pieces. I suspect children were involved at the previous owner's house.

·
Registered
221 Posts
seen that a lot. people leave the caps off or loose on the storage can, weeks or months later they fill up a machine with a can full of water that the ethanol has sucked up out of the air, water being heavier then gas settles right to the tanks bottom , the engine stops running,
My neighbor leaves her 5 gal. gas can setting outside on the porch all year without a cap on the spout. Her riding mower is always running like carp. I drained her tank and carb for her once and explained about the gas issue.
Didn't do any good. Next time it started running bad from water in the tank, I told her to call her son to come fix it.
Some people just don't listen.:banghead:

·
Registered
818 Posts
the technical explanation of water in ethanol mixed gasoline: ethanol does not "grab water molecules out of the air." It is hydrophilic, which means ethanol holds water. With regular gasoline (E0) as well at E10, the primary cause of water collecting in tanks is condensation on tank walls. But unlike E0, which can absorb almost no moisture, E10 can hold up to half of one percent of water by volume, and the water molecules will dissolve in the fuel.

So I suspect the tank was left out in the rain in order to become mostly water.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
My new/old Simplicity now runs great. However, I found another surprise in the fuel tank. When I went to re-fuel, I noticed something in the tank that I did not previously see. With my forceps, I fished out a piece of plastic - it was a 4 inch handle from a laundry basket!

I know it was from a laundry basket because I have the same laundry basket but mine is not missing any pieces. I suspect children were involved at the previous owner's house.
The water probably got in there the same way the laundry basket handle did.......Kids.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts