Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, during my snow blowing this morning, I see that my Ariens ProHydro 28 with EFI is sending me an error code.
It is flashing a Code 28 which is supposed to be a high voltage problem. When I get some time, I am going to check the voltages of the stator and the battery...according to the repair manual, it is either a new stator, or a new ECU. Blower has 8 hours of run time since purchase this October.
Man, I hope purchasing the EFI engine will not haunt me for the rest of the blowers life. I am thinking I will be purchasing the extended warranty.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Ugh, good luck! With some of the EFI reports this year, I think the 5 year warranty for $99 sounds like a good investment, if you can still get it. A single component replacement (ECU, fuel pump, etc) could easily be more than that. And it would get you coverage while they figure out kinks hiding in the system.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
BB, that's very discouraging. That kind of stuff is SO annoying on a brand new piece of equipment...

·
Registered
417 Posts
That's a drag. Being dependent on a specialized shop isn't a good feeling.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I feel like the EFI setup could have been done much better within the bounds of available tech. Something like a simple ECU like a Megasquirt, put a standard 12v battery setup on it like a car, etc. It seems like in an attempt to simplify the setup for a snowblower they've deviated a little too far from commonly used, easily maintainable EFI stuff that's out there. It's not like EFI is new tech at this point...

·
Registered
62 Posts
That stinks. I seriously considered EFI when I bought my Pro 32, but got cold feet at the end. Figured I'd stick with what is tested and proven.

I never buy extended warranties, on anything. But in this case I would seriously consider it if you can still get it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
NO WAY!! Sorry to hear that on your new machine..
Been through that with cars and all the non serviceable cant fix items/parts, then needing specialized tools or equipment. It means that it becomes simply a R&R game. Remove and Replace.
The worst part is that the electronics is probably the cheapest part on the blower to manufacture and yet these parts will be sold just like in the automotive world for over 500% profit.
Sounds like the old non EFI blowers just appreciated in value by 25%!!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup, it sure stinks...we are supposed to get 8-10" tonight/tomorrow. I think I will just run it and if it craps the bed, then I will borrow the neighbors. This weekend, I will check out the voltages per the service manual.
As I have mentioned in other posts, Ariens seem to engineer something to 90% and leave the last 10% to luck.
I realize that everything can have a problem, but man to be caught up in this back and forth of moving the blower to the dealer will really bite. Much like an ambulance, you only use it when you need it, but when you do, it has to work.
I will keep you all up to date as this moves forward.
Yes, the extended warranty for $100 buck is looking more and more like a bargain.

·
Registered
76 Posts
give me a carburetor everytime.
Agreed. Of course EFI has advantages, but until the bugs get worked out and it's proven to be reliable, I'll stick with carbs. Judging from this and other threads here recently, it seems Ariens still has some work to do on their EFI system.

·
Registered
60 Posts
As far as the $99 extended Ariens warranty goes. If you read the fine print it covers the blower only. The engine is covered by its own LCT warranty. I dont know where the engine electronics will fall.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Here’s the warranty link. It does extend the original manufacturers warranty on the engine by 2 years. There are plenty of exceptions but I don’t see anything that would exclude the EFI system.

But it is definitely worth a call, or better... an email so that you have the answer in writing.

https://apache.ariens.com/images/AriensExtendedWarranty1017.pdf

Btw... there were so many exceptions that I opted to pass, but I have a carb setup. Hopefully I won’t regret my decision.

·
Registered
654 Posts
[quote Btw... there were so many exceptions that I opted to pass, but I have a carb setup. Hopefully I won’t regret my decision.[/quote]

Could you please explain. I looked over the brochure and found this:

Exclusions – Items Not Covered by This Warranty
• Parts that are not genuine Ariens service parts are not covered by this warranty and may void the warranty.
• Damages resulting from the installation or use of any part, accessory, or attachment which is not approved by the Ariens
Company for use with product(s) identified herein are not covered by this warranty.
• The Ariens Extended Warranty program does not include maintenance.
• Transportation of equipment to and from the servicing dealer are not covered by this extended warranty program.
• Any additional cost for services not covered by the agreement.
• Incidental, consequential or secondary damages or delay in rendering service under this agreement, or loss of use during
the period that the covered product is at an authorized service center or otherwise awaiting parts.
• Breakdowns that are not reported within the terms of this agreement.
• The following maintenance, service and replacement items are not covered by this warranty unless they are noted in the
Limitations section above: lubricants, spark plugs, oil, skid shoes, scraper blades, shear bolts, headlights, light bulbs, and
single-stage impellers.
• Any misuse, alteration, improper assembly, improper adjustment, neglect, or accident which requires repair is not covered
by this warranty.
• Use of gasoline blends exceeding 10% ethanol voids any and all warranties.
• Products are designed to the specifications in the area that the product was originally distributed. Different areas may
have significantly different legal and design requirements. This warranty is limited to the requirements in the area in which
the unit was originally distributed. Ariens Company does not warrant this product to the requirements of any other area.
Warranty service is limited to service within the area originally distributed.
• Normal Wear: This warranty does not cover repair when normal use has exhausted the useful life of a part.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
My good old carbureted blowers will last me my lifetime and that makes me feel pretty happy.:smile2:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Btw... there were so many exceptions that I opted to pass, but I have a carb setup. Hopefully I won’t regret my decision.
------------
Could you please explain.
I really don't have the experience that most have around here - so take my comments lightly :) But it seems that based on the list that you found from the warranty and the following exceptions I started to wonder what would break and within the 3 year warranty most manufacturers defects would be found. The gear box is covered under the original warranty for 5 years and is not benefitted by the extended warranty. And then there is this:

• Normal Wear: This warranty does not cover repair when normal use has exhausted the useful life of a part.
So my feeling is that the odds of something breaking that is covered, is much less than something that isn't. I had a problem with a defective compression relief mechanism on a snowblower that I don't own anymore. This was under the initial warranty period and found relatively soon after receiving the unit. It was fixed through the standard warranty.

All of this is just guessing on my part... nobody can guarantee what will happen, and I still have a couple years to purchase the extended warranty. If it does become a lemon I will buy the warranty. Or, if I feel extra flush with cash and have a weak moment I may purchase it too. But for now it's a pass.

But back to the original question of the thread. The extended warranty is reasonable right now at $99 and might be a good insurance policy for EFI units.

Attachments

·
Registered
654 Posts
Just like a car warranty, wear and tear items are not covered eg brakes, rotors etc. For $99 ( $49.50 per year) , you get the extended Ariens warranty which when applied to the original warranty, gives you 5 years of coverage. The cost of the ecu alone is $150. A new engine alone is over $450. The cost of the hydro is $$$. Then add on labor. If I was buying a new machine, I would pony up the $99.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts