Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any idea when MTD first switched to Tecumseh OHV engines for snowblowers?

I found a MTD 12/33 with an OHV Tecumseh Snow King engine, about a year ago, and can't find any info on it.

The machine runs great, clears a 130 yard long driveway surprisingly quickly, and is in mint shape.

Thanks,

·
Registered
465 Posts
'88 I believe. Some pictures of the engine and machine would help a lot in identifying at least roughly what year it is.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
they were, tecumseh has been making engines since the early 70s for the sears suburban tractors. those were the horizontal ohv engines with the troublesome electronic ignition(just try finding one, another reason to hate tecumseh). they were some of the better engine they made

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
hello al, welcome to SBF, how about a pic of your machine and he motor

·
Registered
465 Posts
I don't think Tecumseh was making OHV engines in 1988...
They were. '88 and some '89s had issues with over advanced cam timing, they would kick back something awful. Guys used to break their wrists. I know of one individual the ended up with a broken jaw. I believe those were the first of the OHV Snow King engines.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Like 94EG8 says it kicks back hard with the recoil but works awesome otherwise.
You can fix that btw, you have to take the sump over off, pull the came and reinstall it so it's retarded one tooth. That was believe it or not the official fix from Tecumseh, I have the service bulletin here somewhere.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I have had good success with slowly pulling the recoil until I feel compression, let the rope rewind and then give a good hard pull and repeat as necessary. This seems to lessen the kick back when at the top of the compression stroke. It is worth a try.:confused:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts