Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a brand new Deluxe 24 in December and have about 2.5 hours on it. I read that it's recommended to change the oil after 5 to 10 hours of operation. I checked the oil before I used it last and it looked greyish on the dipstick so I decided to change it and this is how it looks! After just 2.5 hours!

I put some regular Castrol 5w30 in tonight after draining the old crud out. It smelled like chemicals and seemed like it had some fine particles in it from breaking in. I'm going to probably change it again at around 10 hours, especially if it looks like that again. It takes less than a quart so I don't care if I'm being too anal about it. The quart of oil cost me 4 dollars so who cares. Lol. At the end of the season I will probably switch to synthetic and change at the end of each season going forward.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I changed the oil on my Pro 32 today with about 2 hours total runtime and it looked similar. l’ll change it again in another 2-3 hours. Then l’ll go synthetic at around 10 hours. From what i’ve read and seen, the first oil change on a brand new engine doesn’t look too pretty. But apparently is pretty typical.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Is that water or just the sheen of the plastic on left edge of oil in photo????
looks more like a film from moving the plastic around,
the motor is splash oiled, has NO oil filter, some very fine metal sheen is normal. the color is also normal and will be seen after even a 1/2 hour of running.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Oil out of a new small engine is always pretty bad looking due to the lack of a filter to catch any break-in particles. I usually go with a change at 2 hours, another at 5, then at 10 and pick up a normal / recommended schedule from there. I figure the extra changes to get the junk out early on won't hurt considering the lack of filter.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine looked like that after the first few hours. I switched the oil to Royal Purple HPS 5W-30
I ran it in my old Ariens, My small single stage and in my lawnmower. I prefer it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts