Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I'm with cranman, just put the cap back on it. Your only draining it once a year, if that, .... as I use 5W30 Full Synthetic in all my equipment, and with as many blowers as I have, lol ... I struggle to get a workout on all of them in a year ... a nice hobby of mine ...:)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Can I just get a cap nut at Home Depot which matches the threads or I need to buy the exact part online? It's part number 30969

·
Registered
848 Posts
Get the brass bolt to plug it with. I would probably take the valve off and replace it with a newer oil drain valve because it could leak from the valve lever if it was a water valve. Water valves were not designed to withstand the heat and vibration that comes with running a small engine.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Get the brass bolt to plug it with. I would probably take the valve off and replace it with a newer oil drain valve because it could leak from the valve lever if it was a water valve. Water valves were not designed to withstand the heat and vibration that comes with running a small engine.
That's exactly whats happening. It's leaking from the bottom of the valve handle. I noticed the valve being oily and over the summer enough of it dropped out which caused the oil level to drop.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
It's pipe threads, all standard, 1/4"? 3/8"? I buy black (bare, untreated) or galvanized and paint it rather than buy brass. I'm cheap.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Looks like the biggest problem is they used a bolt to try and seal Pipe threads. I agree with taking the valve and wrong bolt off, then just putting a black iron pipe cap on it, with teflon tape.

GLuck, Jay

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like the biggest problem is they used a bolt to try and seal Pipe threads. I agree with taking the valve and wrong bolt off, then just putting a black iron pipe cap on it, with teflon tape.

GLuck, Jay
Most likely the valve would open while it was running so they added a bolt.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
@Malisha,

Nice job ... :)

Now all you need is a pair of XTrac tires to replace those turf tires, and your in business ... :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Malisha,

Nice job ... /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Now all you need is a pair of XTrac tires to replace those turf tires, and your in business ... /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Yeah maybe but I don't get that much snow in NYC.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts

Correct.... That is a common safety measure, IF done correctly. The valve should have Pipe Threads...... So IF they installed a Pipe Plug, that would give the added safety measure if the valve opened, and will not leak, as the parts would have matching threads.

GLuck, Jay

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

Correct.... That is a common safety measure, IF done correctly. The valve should have Pipe Threads...... So IF they installed a Pipe Plug, that would give the added safety measure if the valve opened, and will not leak, as the parts would have matching threads.
And that's why I suggested a proper, locking valve in Post 2: https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/1677511-post2.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts