Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm hoping some of you guys with the old late 60's, 70's ariens guys come on here. Just for a project in the garage I took my dads 72. Went to use it today and the augurs won't turn. Took the belt cover off and the gear is not engaging, won't spin. Checked the gear box, pulled the drain plug shined a light inside when I pulled the plug, everything was wet with a grease but nothing drained out. My questions are, did they use an oil in these old gear boxes or grease?, should it be leaking out? Is this my issue? Worked perfect last storm. The lever to engage the auger seems OK just the shaft tfrom the gear box won't move and towards the motor to catch and spin, I am mechanically inclined, I decided to take a break my Buick grand national in the garage and get dads snowblower going again haha..figured I'd ask you guys before I I pull it all apart for no reason. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
sounds like the belt slipping to me...if not you got to pull the auger and dismantle the gearbox.....the brass gear gets stripped easily

·
Registered
871 Posts
remove spark plug, engage auger lever, pull starter cord, what do u see for the auger belt/pulley.
can u turn impeller by hand,release brake when trying this.
if impeller turns do the augers turn.
worst case either you have a frozen/rusted impeller bearing or gear box busted, best case is belt slipping

·
Registered
891 Posts
> the shaft tfrom the gear box won't move and towards the motor to catch and spin

it sounds like the "lovejoy" is stuck on the shaft and won't move.

have you tried using a crowbar to move it to the correct position? my Bolens Artic 75 does this as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally got my crank for my chute last week to fit perfect with the new predator motor didn't want to unbolt but I did and dropped the bucket to get pics, my smartphone won't upload them to this site..I don't see anything missing...the lever to engage seems to be working good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all, love these old tanks. Soaked everything in wd40. With the bucket off. While waiting for responses I moved the shaft gently with a crowbar. Popped right in. Love these old tanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Checked the gear box, pulled the drain plug shined a light inside when I pulled the plug, everything was wet with a grease but nothing drained out. My questions are, did they use an oil in these old gear boxes or grease?,
Oil, a thick liquid oil.
see here for details:

https://scotlawrence.github.io/ariens/Page11.html#question9

should it be leaking out?
When you pull the bottom plug, yes, it should leak out. its oil, not grease.

Is this my issue?
No. ;) it seems your issue is now resolved..but you do want oil in that gearbox.

To drain the gearbox oil, remove both plugs, thick oil should drain out the bottom opening.
To re-fill, put the bottom plug back in, then add oil through the top plug, until oil leaks out the top plug, then reinstall the top plug. the gearbox ends up about half-full of oil.

Scot

1 - 9 of 9 Posts