Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I was at my LMS today and he had an old Ariens 2 stage blower he's selling for a customer, I didn't get the model but looking online at parts diagrams it looks a lot like an old ST624, it's orange and off white, semi-pneumatic tires, has a short metal chute and stubby deflector,and a rounded cast iron auger gear case. The shop owner suggested offering $75 which I feel is fair, the seller claims it runs and all is good and is ok with $75.

The reason I ask if it's worth it is I found out that some parts like the "Helicon gear with shaft" goes for over $200 new! So are there any pitfalls with an old Ariens like this that could make it a money pit? It looks solid and didn't feel much play in the auger box.

Any thoughts? Thx.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
10000 series are Great Machines. No Worries about the Helicon Gear/Shaft as long as You keep Oil in the Box, Grease the Rakes, and Have Shear Pins in. Drop the Pan, and Inspect the Condition of the Friction Wheel. That is a Do-able but PITA Repair. $75 is Reasonable, especially if it runs.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I was looking for a vintage project so I'll likely call the shop owner and tell him I'll take it, plus he's willing to drop it off since the shop is very close.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts