Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Just the frame and bucket are worth the 60......

Just so you know, that is one of the older units, and changing the drive friction disk is a mother of a job.

Even after putting on XTrac or Snowhogs (38.00), and even if you had to put on a new Predator engine (99.00), your still ahead of the game with a solid machine. I have 2 of the older models, one needs a friction disc, which I guess I'll tackle after finishing my Craftsman someone gave me.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in NYC and these old machines aren't popular. I have a mint 1979 724 which I got for free and if I invest everything u mentioned I'll never be able to sell it

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Great machine and practically bulletproof, but I would look for the newer 924 series Ariens from 1975 to around 2000.....You can pick up a 75 to 78 for cheap money (less then $100) and they are just as bulletproof and have some better features as far as ease of maintenance and safety. I have several that have been all gone through, and need nothing for $250 if you want to take a trip to Cape Cod area.....

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
@milisha,

I was not intending for him to do those repairs/upgrades to just turn around and sell it for profit.

He was asking if the machine was worth it ... I was assuming for his use, he did not mention fixing it up for reselling for profit.

To take a machine and buy it for resale to make a profit, you certainly have to take many considerations into account, and dumping good money into something just to resell it, if your not going to keep it for yourself, well ... you get the idea ... time is money as well as parts, then add your profit ....

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whether I keep it or sell it I alway assess whether it's a good investment. A guy in my area was selling 3 Ariens snowblower as a package deal 90s 824, 8524 and 80s 824 for $250. They didn't run but everything was there.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Nope
sell it for profit??
nobody wants it
I coulda had 1 free with ariens weight kit pass

St824 are almost not wanted anymore

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
ST 824's are getting hard to sell...but for my own use, the best of the best.....The twin sticks are great performers, but really hard to sell

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I pick them up for free or less then $60 ( if they have the tear drop tank that I hoard for my own projects)....If I can save one for cheap....I go for it....No market around me though....shiny new sells.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts