Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This machine must be a pretty early model as it has only one belt. It's rusty and there is a lot of wobble to the pulley/friction plate.

But, it blows dry snow pretty well. It's useless with wet slushy snow--clogs almost immediately.

I'm wondering of these are worst than other two-stage blowers in this respect, and if there is anything I can do to improve it.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
An impeller kit would easily improve your snow throwing performance.

Should prove to be a good machine if you take care of the general repairs and maintenance.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I took out a single belt Jacobsen a couple of weeks ago during a slush storm we had in Mass. and she clogged every couple of feet. I drove her into the shop and took off the chute and the impellers in that old girl had a half inch gap between them and the housing. I put belting on only two impellers and tried it.....Blew slush and no clog! Went back and did the same thing on my newer Jacobsen but did all four impellers. The four impeller job worked a little better. With the large gap I noticed on those two Jakes, I would recommend an impeller kit . I sold both of them this week, and hated to see them go......I used them both during that 15 in storm we had last week, and my neighbors all commented on how well they threw. They are great machines ( with the kit)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mass,
I don't think you buy these impeller kits. I just make my own out of 1/4" (or thicker if you can find some) belting. You just measure the length of the impeller blade and make a paddle and secure it to the impeller. Making sure the blade touch's the housing. I have used self tapping screws and also drilled and secured with bolts and nuts I am not near my machine otherwise I would send a pic. Good luck, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I went to Tractor supply and got the 4 inch baler belting...about $15 for 5 ft I think I used perforated steel flat stock from Home Depot. I cut the flat stock just shy of 4 inches and cut the baler belting just wide enough to cover the impeller. I used the flat stck vice gripped to the rubber to drill two 5/16 holes, then lay the rubber on the impeller ( jammed a screwdriver behind the impeller to wedge it so it wouldn't move), marked the impeller with an extended bit drill, the removed the rubber and drilled the holes. I bolted on the rubber and steel backing with 5/16 bolts 1 " long and used lock nuts. It took me an hour first time, and I've gotten somewhat faster with practice. Take off the chute first.

·
Banned
267 Posts
Cranman where do you buy this kit? I have a single belt old Jacobsen that has the same problem clogging. Thanks
From this guy on ebay. I buy the six pack so I can put two on each impeller of my 3 machines. Go by the amount of blades. 4 buy the 4 pack. Or you can make them yourself by getting a rubber tire flap from a truck that was discarded and get the metal plates and hardware at home depot.
SNOW BLOWER IMPELLER KIT? - 1/4" 6-Blade Universal - Modifies 2-Stage Machine

Reactions: Kiss4aFrog

·
Retired Moderator
9,913 Posts
Yup, looks like the one I have. Mine ate up the shaft that the jackshaft gear rides on. It's just a rod that gets cut to length and then drilled. It's no longer avaulable so you have to make your own. There are a few pieces here and there on the machine that are no longer available so you need to be creative to keep the old girl humming.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been using an old (1972) Toro and it throws the snow much farther than the Jake. So it sounds like the rubber impeller mod would be the answer. I don't much like the controls on the Toro. Everything requires reaching or stretching, chute rotation is very slow,deflector won't stay in place, no deadman features. There is a decent looking later model Jake on CL for $20, but my mate will kill me if I get another blower.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts