Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I aquired an old Crafstmen snowblower and put a new engine on it and it runs great. It is a single stage snow blower. I don't have model number but can get it if needed. Both the auger and the drive wheels are linked to the motor with a chain versus a belt. I like the old school approach but the machine does not blow snow very well. One minute it will seem to blow ok and then it seems to just puke up the snow to the top of the shoot and thats as good as it gets. What could be the cause of this? Is the auger supposed to be a certain distance away from the metal housing that it spins in. The gap between auger and the metal housing is about 1/2". Maybe thats too much and doesn't keep snow i n auger? Suggestions please.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
the auger isn't adjustable so it can't be moved back and forth. my buddy alexander has one and I've seen it in action and personally think he needs a small two stage machine like my toro 521 but he just can't seem to part with the craftsman even though it doesn't throw snow well

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
You could try the impeller mod that people do. Normally it is done to 2 stage machines, but it also works for single stage machines with a metal auger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The auger will move closer to or away from metal housing as this is how the slack on chain is adjusted. How much gap should I have between auger and housing?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts