Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short i have a long driveway and get lots of snow and drifts. I picked up this old Ford st526 at a yard sale before winter and it has been great all winter long so far. Well i was checking the oil and it was always full so the last two times i used it i did not bother to check it (my first mistake). Well i was using it today and all of a sudden it slowly quit and died, i tried pulling her over and it did slowly until i couldnt pull it anymore. So i checked the oil and of course i could not see the level. So i pulled the plug and filled the cylinder with oil hoping to free it up, i also filled the crankcase then as well. It would not roll over so i pulled the recoil off and spun it backwards and forwards and it fried up rather easily. Of course it was low on compression and would barely start, but once started seemed to work well, except it wont move forwards or backwards and it appears as if the friction drive wore out as well.

So long story short it has a tekumse engine on it and it will start after lots of pulls on ether and i need a friction drive.

Does anyone know where i can get engine parts such as piston rings and possibly a piston, and lastly where i can get a friction drive?

I am on a budget hence why i picked up such a old snowblower, i am willing (if it is not economical to rebuild this snowblower) to purchase a new snowblower but again am limited by budget so the cheaper the better, but also keep in mind that i have a **** of a driveway to snowblow so it must be tough.

Just wish i woulda checked that oil, this snowblower was a beast and took everything i threw at it.

Thanks

Cody

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
okay update, i went out there just recently and she fired right up cold and ran good. Oil of course looks like complete crap, and it still wont move forward or reverse. Found just one website that sells rings and they are at least 30 to 50 dollars.

Any help is greatly appreciated, will be doing compression test soon.

·
Registered
756 Posts
If this is a single shaft engine it would be cheaper to just replace the engine with a harbor freight 6.5hp ohv engine. You can get them on sale for around 100 dollars. If the engine seized because of lack of oil I suspect it has done major damage to the connecting rod big end and or the crank journal. Carl

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The engine seems to be running fine right now, and am willing to take a gamble on leaving that alone for the moment. Anyone have a clue on where i can find a friction drive or a bandaid i can do to it to at least get me threw this winter.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
+1 for Harbor Freight.

You are going to have to pull the bottom cover and the belt cover to find out what is wrong with the drive.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i pulled the bottom cover, and it appears as if the friction drive is worn out, not engaging. It will spin the tires off the ground but as soon as you put a load on it, it will not move. I would rebuild this tecumseh before i thought about putting a harbor freight engine on it. I am extremly mechanically inclined, not to sound arrogant, but all i need to know is where i can get parts for this fine machine lol. If it would help i can get engine serial number.

Thanks again

Cody

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
You could probably tighten the linkage to engage the drive if there is still rubber left on the friction disc. You might try partstree.com to get the part numbers. I think some of the old Fords were made by Gilson.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the help lol, while waiting for a reply i figured id grab a beer go out there and see if there was any kind of adjustment, and there was, i was in the middle hole, and i moved it to the top hole( most pressure) and wiped all the nasty oil and crap off from the wheel she seemed to want to move a little more, and there appears to be a good amount of material on the friction disk. I then fired her up (first pull) to bring it back to the garage to change oil and clean friction disk and flywheel up good. After cleaning friction disk and flywheel up i went to fire her and it again fired up first pull. :) But then started knocking and finally kaboom, i think it threw a rod lol, it was one **** of a rattle and bang until stop. I pulled the plug and it looks fine lol, but everytime i pull it over it rattles and clanks. So this engine is pretty much done for.

Now onto the tough question,i am seriously considering that engine from harbor freight, it is listed at 150 right now. Question is, is it worth the gamble of putting this engine on and then possibly having to try and buy or fix the friction disk that i have? Or will it be better in the long run to just buy something new?

Crappy thing is i just put brand new 40 dollar recoil on the engine :mad:

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Return it? :)

Definitely sounds like the rod broke. Did it crack the block too? Probably have a hole under the gas tank now. I would think instead of the holes you would have a cable or screw you can adjust as well that is more precise than only 3 stops.

Harbor Freight has lots of coupons. You can get coupons for the engine or coupons for 20% off. Usually the 20% off will get it cheaper, but I think there is a $109.99 coupon for the engine. Ok, mine expired and now all I have is $129.99 so the 20% off would still be best at $119.99. Depending on how much of a hurry you are in you could wait for another sale. They have had it as low as $89.99 I think.

One important think CarlB brought up earlier. Make sure your blower only has 1 shaft on the engine and not 2 shafts coming out the front.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya idk, i havnt looked it over real good, its to **** cold lol. Ill check out how much a new friction drive is and that will be the deciding factor for me, if its gonna be more than half the price of a new one then ill buy a new one, but if i can get that engine for 100 bucks or so like you said it may be worth it to go that route. I do kinda need it now, its michigan and my driveway is ****.

·
Registered
756 Posts
But then started knocking and finally kaboom, i think it threw a rod lol, it was one **** of a rattle and bang until stop. I pulled the plug and it looks fine lol, but everytime i pull it over it rattles and clanks. So this engine is pretty much done for.
/>
Saw that coming a mile away

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
okay picked up the harbor freight engine today for 99 (thanks so much for coupon) Also i added the 2 year warranty against anything for just 20 bucks, so i walked out spending 125 bucks and have a engine that is guaranteed to run for at least 2 years. I am very pleased so far. What are you guys breaking these engines in on for oil? Also is there any problems with icing having the air filter on there or do you remove it? The engine appears to be quality. Is there anything i should know before removing my engine and installing this one?

Thanks

Cody

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
I just put whatever cheap 5w30 I have around in mine. Don't really do much of any break in, just put the oil in and put it to work. In my case though, I guess you can say both engines I have are overkill for the blowers they are on so they are not worked too hard. I never had problems with either icing up and both had the air filters left in them.

You will need to make sure your old crank was 3/4"or get new pulleys. You will also need to check the height of the crank, it is probably the same. The bolting pattern should also be the same. You might need to knock the old studs out and put longer bolts if the old engine had a flat plate on it. The new engine will need a new bolt for the crankshaft if your pulley is held on that way instead of a set screw.

·
Registered
756 Posts
This is funny. I was in a harbor freight store the other day in the check out line and there was a guy buying a gas log splitter. He purchased the extended 2 year warranty and inquired of the sales/checkout person if at the end of two years he could buy another warranty and was told no. The the sales person then told him to bring it back when the warranty was about to expire and tell the person in the store that it was broken. The store will then give him a new one at no charge and offer to sell him the extended warranty on the new one. Pretty good deal if you only have to pay for the extended warranty and get a new one. Carl

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
nice! Well i ran into a little snag today with the pulley, the shaft that the tecumse had appears to be a 1 inch shaft. Just wondering where you guys think would be a good spot to start looking for a pulley.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts