Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

A few weeks back I did some damage to my old Ford snowthrower. Ran it into some deep wet heavy snow, and believe that I damaged the gear set that spins the augers. Probably did not help that the gear case seemed to be dry from lack of lube. Anyway, I ended up buying myself a new Toro to get by.

Now I am trying to determine if the old 726 is reparable, or not. Started disassembly of the auger and gear case. Can say for sure that one auger is free and not rusted to the shaft. Still working to verify the other side. Was able to remove the gearbox front cover, and there were a couple washers and the worm gear that came out.

But it seems that there is still one washer on the back side of the gearbox, that is keeping the whole thing on the impeller shaft. This last washer looks to be behind the tab' that the worm gear slides over. Can anyone offer some help with how to get the augers, rod and gearbox off the machine? the impeller shaft looks to be one piece, do I need to pull the impeller and gearbox as one assembly? Any help you can offer will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
yes you usually need to pull pulley off the impeller shaft and pull the whole impeller shaft/auger assembly out of the bucket before you can pull the gear box apart

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, thanks, I will approach it that way when I get my next chance to work on it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wasn't trying to overkill you with videos but I am not sure how the setup is on the back of your auger housing...Good luck!
To be honest I have not watched the videos, but plan to when I have time to wrench on it again. It has been a while since I had the machine apart in that area, I don't recall much, aside from not really having to fight with anything to get bolts out, etc. So I'm hoping that this next round with it will go as well.

I will have to make some time soon to get back into the project, currently this one has been sitting under a tarp in my back yard, and I don't want that to be a long term situation. I have to admit, the new Toro fits in my garage so much better than this old one ever did.:devil:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts