Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is not a big issue but there must be a solution. The rod that controls the chute on my 1999 MTD blower works fine but it shakes around a lot and refuses to stop rattling. There must be a bushing that used to go in the hole it goes through near the crank handle at the top. All there is there right now is a plastic pop in o-ring. But it isn't snug enough to stop it from rattling. Is there something you guys have fashioned to solve this? Thanks in advance...

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
Go to your local auto parts or farm supply store and look for rubber grommets. If you can take the shaft out of the opening, slip the grommet in and slide the shaft back in. If the shaft is not removable you may be able to cut the grommet and work it around the shaft into the hole.
One more thought is can you work some black tape around the shaft between it and the hole to build up the thickness of the shaft to take up the space between the shaft and the existing hole?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I use a spring to keep tension on the rod and keep it from vibrating, works good.
does it also help hold the rod from turning when running the machine? i will sometimes wrap some rope around the shaft a couple loops and then tie it to the machine to keep it from rattling and to keep the shaft from freely turning so it can stay wherever i leave the handle.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go to your local auto parts or farm supply store and look for rubber grommets. If you can take the shaft out of the opening, slip the grommet in and slide the shaft back in. If the shaft is not removable you may be able to cut the grommet and work it around the shaft into the hole.
One more thought is can you work some black tape around the shaft between it and the hole to build up the thickness of the shaft to take up the space between the shaft and the existing hole?
Great suggestion! Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I use a spring to keep tension on the rod and keep it from vibrating, works good.
Ingenious solution! Think I will steal the idea and call it my own. My buddies will be none the wiser. ;)

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Nice idea with the spring!

For mine, I took a section of bicycle rubber inner tube, and wrapped it tight around the rod at the bracket. I tied the inner tube ends together, then wrapped some zip ties around it.

It looked dumb. But no vibration, and the chute would finally stay pointing where I aimed it, rather than pivoting as the handle rotated down.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Put a piece of rubber house or gas line hose on the chute rod, slide it down or put a slit in it and fit it over. Remove the eye bolt and bring it to the hardware store to get the right size for a snug fit so it doesn't come out.

You can also buy a new one or one from another manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Put a piece of rubber house or gas line hose, slide it down or put a slit in it. Remove the reboot and bring it to the hardware store to get the right size for a snug fit so it doesn't come out.

You can also buy a new one or one from another manufacturer.
Good idea.

How about some shrink sleeving. Put 2 or 3 layers on it, and once shrunk, won't move.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts