Snowblower Forum banner

Old noma single stage snow blower question

3K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  rfuschjr@rcn.com 
#1 ·
I took this out of pops shed. I believe he purchased it circa 1996 from Home Depot. It has not been run since at least 2004 or so when he got a small Toro single stage snow thrower.

Pop's gone now and we are cleaning out of his shed. I found this and I decided to bring it back to my place. FYI I am no mechanic... I tinker I ask questions at 4 forums and if I could save something I will.

I could not find any information on this snowthrower or its engine. The best I could do was to take the cowel and plastic off to expose the carb and try to clean the carb. Boy what a pita it was getting not only the cowl off with all the hidden nuts and bolts ... in precarious spots..but the carb with its hex screws etc etc

I cleaned the carb, it was all gummed up. With everything exposed I pulled the rope twice and it started! I immediately shut it down. I put everything back together plastic cowl etc.

Pulled the string it started right up but suddenly started revving higher and higher and higher... Kind of like if you sat in your car with it in park and press down on the accelerator as far as it would go. It sounded like the sucker was going to blow itself apart so I shut it off.

I took her apart again... sigh. I looked carefully at the pictures I had taken...looked ok to me. A connecting rod that seemed to connect the carb to the throttle(? ) looked upside down so I flipped it and put it back together.

At this point it had been sitting for a couple weeks but it started right up... after a few seconds it was again revving higher and higher... like it was going to blow itself to smithereens.

I have no way of knowing if there was an issue with this and that's why pop got the Toro. My guess is it got gumed up and being old he just decided to get something new.

I am wondering what could cause this? Is there anything I as a lay person can try or is it perhaps just time to put this thing out to pasture. My goal was to give it away to someone who needed a small blower but I'm hesitant to give it to anybody if the engines going to blow itself to pieces.

Here are a bunch of pictures maybe somebody will see something. I appreciate your time .

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to SBF. Your machine looks in great shape. To lower the engine RPM'S, bend the arm shown with the red arrow, down a little to take some tension off of the governor spring. The tighter the spring, the higher the engine speed. If you had a tachometer, you would want the RPM'S around 3600.

#4 ·
Lube everything using synthetic motor oil.

Grunt or others, how do you edit a picture that is already posted and one on your computer before posting and put an arrow in? Program? Import? Can you do it from a tablet?

#5 ·
Grunt or others, how do you edit a picture that is already posted and one on your computer before posting and put an arrow in? Program? Import? Can you do it from a tablet?
I use a program called "ScreenHunter " to capture the picture I want and save it to my desktop. After it's saved, I use Windows paint to open it and add arrows or text and resave the modified picture again to the desktop. I'm sure there must be an easier way, but I'm to old to change my ways. I'm also using Windows 7 because I don't like how Windows 10 looks.:alien:

#9 ·
BTW...below is the original pic I took before I started taking things apart. I notice that spring does not seem connected to anything. The second pic shows where I thought it
The spring just acts as a damper to remove any movement between the governor arm and throttle plate. It has no effect on engine speed.

#11 ·
I just saw your post. I was out tonight and bent the one piece indicated a few posts above down even more and that made no difference. I did confirm that the throttle arm if that's what it cost can move to the left freely and popped back to its position it's just that the engine isn't moving it. I can move it with my screwdriver and I could hear the engine rev less but the engine isn't moving it itself. I'm looking forward to taking a look at your link. I searchedy and couldn't find doc or videos anywhere so I appreciate it.

#12 ·
Couldn't wait so I took a quick look at your link. The governor adjustment the tab that I've been down was my own doing based on a suggestion on an earlier post it really doesn't seem to have any effect. When I start it it sounds perfectly normal for about 20 seconds and then all of a sudden it just starts to rev high like it's going to blow itself apart. At no time that's the throttle arm if that's what it's called move to the left or right by itself.

I saw
in the manual I don't think I touched any of this but could this have somehow screwed something up or do you think this is just a bad Governor itself inside the engine......

#14 ·
Did you try the governor adjustment procedure? It requires you to loosen the governor arm lock nut and rotating the governor shaft as described in the instructions, not just bending the tab with the spring on it. Can you move the throttle on the carb freely?

#18 ·
so I tried to figure this out. I loosened the horizontal screw with the hex head. The rod that was sticking out... I assumed it needed to be turned clockwise upon opening the throttle ...which I wasn't sure how to do but that didn't matter because I could not turn that sucker left or right it was frozen in its place. So I sprayed the whole area with WD-40 and let it sit.

no dice still won't turn left or right ...tighten back up the horizontal screw. While I had to WD-40 out I again spray the whole area springs it all... Again even though nothing seem to be restricted and let it sit awhile..

I started it again just for the heck of it and to my surprise I never searched. In fact I could see the springs moving... Never saw that before.

The idle seemed seemed a little slow so I bent that piece back up tightening the spring and low and behold I think it's working. I couldn't believe it. I put the cowl back on let it run another 10 minutes and put her back in the shed. Now I have three. I guess I should really get rid of one hahaha.

Thanks everybody!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.