Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
It is a somewhat desirable 10000 series (either 1973/1974) with the drive clutch located near the Ariens nameplate (the earlier 10000 series had it by the engine).

It also has electric starter/locking differential/tire chains/and the large 8HP engine.

Depending on what it needs and how much the seller's willing to bargain, that one is definitely worth fixing.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'd certainly would think it be a good investment for the price; do a little negotiating to get a better deal, too!

Aside from what DB mentioned, the parts for these machines are plentiful and easy to get. On the side of repair & maintenance, these are easy machines to work on, which is also advantageous to a willing buyer. The only thing that would concern me, as with any other snowblower, is the gearbox and if it's shot

·
Super Moderator
9,891 Posts
The price if $100 is reasonable depending on what exactly it needs for "TLC". If a gear or two don't work or there is a major crack in the body or auger housing or the engine knocks and or burns major oil than it's no deal at all.
I'd try to find out more about it's condition and what this person considers TLC to consist of. You need to look it over well including the area the scraper bar bolts to the auger housing to make sure it's not rusted out.

The other thing is they are very reliable once gone through properly and will be a work horse. Do you have the skills and desire to take it apart and overhaul it? Depending on it's condition that might only be replacing a few worn or broken parts all the way to stripping and repainting it for a full restoration. That would be up to you. Tearing it down and inspecting it is the best way to make sure you have it in good condition and make it all the way through the winter without problems. After that it's just maintenance.

It looks like it would be worth going and checking out.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
A Broken Bearing Carrier is the worst (and Common) scenario on a 73-4

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where woould this carrier bearing be and how can i check it? i dont belive the eng is running at the moment but i can definitly check to see if the auger gear box is stripped..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was also wondering about that muffler..All the ones i have seen are square and come out the front of the shround..is this a factory muffler?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah Thats what i though it looked like but i couldnt see any square hole for where the factory muffler went..I am going to look at it tommorrow. I have four other running blowers now so i figured i could restore this one..but looks like i gotta find a heat sheild now...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the picture scotman..thats what i was looking for..Im just wondering what i am going to need for parts now and what availability of said parts will be..lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ended up buying it for 35 bucks..seems to be all there..a very small amount of play in the auger bearing. If nothing else i will take it apart just to see how the old ones work..LOL..Is it very hard to repower them with a clone motor? mostly concerned with the chute turning mechanism..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts