Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My older Ariens has served me very well with no major repairs needed. This past winter, I noticed what seemed like an oil leak from the transmission and the shifting became somewhat difficult. Since I no longer have a service or owner's manual, could someone here tell me how to check the transmission for fluid level & what weight of oil to use. The unit'e model number is H60-75003H and serial number is 81986452. Thank you all...

YTW

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
H60-75003H is actually the model number for the engine. The actual blower number is on a white sticker down between the wheels on the back. Being a 4 speed I would say either a 10m6 or a 922xxx.

The shifting on that is most likely a friction wheel. It is a very basic setup that involves a metal wheel turning and then a rubber wheel rubbing on it. There is no lubrication on it. The oil you are seeing would be either from the engine or from the front auger gear case.

If it is very difficult to shift you just need to take the bottom cover off and clean the hex shaft and re-grease it.

These videos are for different brands, but I would think yours is similar:

For the oil just use 5w30 in the engine. The auger gearcase you can probably use a regular 80w90/75w140 or something similar for gear oil. You might want to look into the differences of GL-4 and GL-5 though as some of them say they can eat brass metals. You could also use something like a '00' grease. It is thicker than gear oil but not as thick as grease. Some gear cases use that instead of oil.

For a more specific answer you are going to have to get the proper model and serial numbers for the blower.

Ariens will let you download all the manuals for free:
*Find Product Manuals*

1 - 2 of 2 Posts