Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i am new here but i got a toro 521 snowblower runs beautifully but i can not get it to turn off unless i pull the spark plug or turn the choke on. I have the key for the on off switch but it does not turn the snowblower off. Is this a wiring issue? or what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
915 Posts
yes, it seems to be a wiring issue, ,either a bad switch or maybe the connections at the engine. Here is the wiring connection bracket on my 521. How does yours look?

tx

IMG_20170930_145325828.jpg

·
Registered
229 Posts
there should be a bracket mounted behind the metal plate where those three holes are,

then you put the key into the slot beside the 3 holes,

you are missing the key slot bracket, where are you putting your key?

regardless of that, the engine should shut off if you put the throttle all the way down to the bottom

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there should be a bracket mounted behind the metal plate where those three holes are,

then you put the key into the slot beside the 3 holes,

you are missing the key slot bracket, where are you putting your key?

regardless of that, the engine should shut off if you put the throttle all the way down to the bottom
When i throttle all the way down it does NOT shut off. The key is up by the handle. the only way it shuts off right now is by turning the choke on with full throttle or pull the spark plug.

·
Registered
229 Posts
How do i fix that?
well, you need to start doing some troubleshooting,

look at the switch at the bottom of your throttle,

the wire connected to that switch should be grounded when your throttle is all the way down at the bottom,

start by removing your choke knob, then remove the metal cover behind the knob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, you need to start doing some troubleshooting,

look at the switch at the bottom of your throttle,

the wire connected to that switch should be grounded when your throttle is all the way down at the bottom,

start by removing your choke knob, then remove the metal cover behind the knob
It doesnt look like the wire is connected..i am not exactly sure what it should look like. my frustration is it worked when i got it but then had a mechanic do a lot of work to it and now it doesnt work...

·
Registered
229 Posts
remove the carb cover like i said, take pics with it removed, of that area,

also take some pics where the key is,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
remove the carb cover like i said, take pics with it removed, of that area,

also take some pics where the key is,
Sounds good i will do that when i get home, I am a school teacher so not off till 345 i will update with pics then. so far thanks to all with your input!

·
Super Moderator
459 Posts
the wiring is simple, the upper switch completes the ground of those 2 wires when off, if it's not follow the wires and short them together, it should turn off. also under the throttle control is a single bare u shaped connector in the photo that when the throttle lever is pushed all the way down completes another ground.
without them it won't shut off unless stalled .

·
Registered
17 Posts
the wiring is simple, the upper switch completes the ground of those 2 wires when off, if it's not follow the wires and short them together, it should turn off. also under the throttle control is a single bare u shaped connector in the photo that when the throttle lever is pushed all the way down completes another ground.
without them it won't shut off unless stalled .

These are the pics, also when I took it off two wires just fell off..

·
Registered
229 Posts
what is behind the two parts that are wrapped with electrical tape?

do you have a voltmeter? continuity tester?

if so, remove the wire that is connected to the throttle switch,

put the throttle all the way down to the bottom,

now test for continuity from the wire terminal on the throttle switch to a ground point on the engine,

if the switch is functioning as it should, you should have a continuity reading

·
Registered
304 Posts
Grounding any of those wires will kill the engine. With that mess of bad connections and tape repairs it's no wonder it wont shut off. More than likely that this bit of creative repair is why it won't shut off when lowering your throttle. There should be an eyelet and a screw at this connection.

·
Super Moderator
459 Posts
and i taught i had seen back yard butcher repairs come into the shop. i would remove the flywheel cover and replace all the wiring, it's broken off at the throttle lever stop where we normally find a insulated push on, shorted and taped at the high idle stop most likely broken at the point and twisted back together, like it is at the throttle , no ground no stop.

the system is so simple the longer wire running to under the cover goes to the coil ground terminal , short one grounds though the lever , stop switch runs from the insulated bolt to the stop/run switch, back to the screw which is a ground, turn the switch off it makes ground shorting the coil stopping the motor, push the throttle fully down past idle with the key on, completes the ground stops the motor

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I'd like to think most of us with old machines with keys, we disconnect the wires going to the key and just use the throttle grounding mechanism to turn the machine off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
and i taught i had seen back yard butcher repairs come into the shop. i would remove the flywheel cover and replace all the wiring, it's broken off at the throttle lever stop where we normally find a insulated push on, shorted and taped at the high idle stop most likely broken at the point and twisted back together, like it is at the throttle , no ground no stop.

the system is so simple the longer wire running to under the cover goes to the coil ground terminal , short one grounds though the lever , stop switch runs from the insulated bolt to the stop/run switch, back to the screw which is a ground, turn the switch off it makes ground shorting the coil stopping the motor, push the throttle fully down past idle with the key on, completes the ground stops the motor
What wires do i need to pick up for this?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts