·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Reactions: classiccat

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Is that excess wear due to no gearbox lube, or something similar? If it ate a rock, and had no functioning shear pins, I'd have expected the teeth to just be broken off in one location, since the augers would no longer be turning (so no opportunity to damage the rest of the brass gear).

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Piece of Metal with the Holes next to it was used instead of a shear pin.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
That 'll all buff out, Jackmels..
(Man is that thing trashed.)

Reactions: Kiss4aFrog

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is from a Troybilt 3090 xl Storm...Knowing the gearbox was toast, I picked up the machine for short money. Was surprised a 5-22 auger I had kicking around used the same gearbox and gear.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I buy, rebuild/repair a couple dozen snowblowers a year, most have bolts or wrong style shear pins.
I change them all to the correct style pins.
Tell new owners what the shear pins do, so I don’t get a call for warranty on a destoyed front end.
Buy a bag full from local wholesaler each year.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Another entry for: The Wall of Shame
Cut it in half, add a fender washer as a spacer, attach a string and you have a classic Duncan Butterfly Yo-Yo!:wink2:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
This is from a Troybilt 3090 xl Storm...Knowing the gearbox was toast, I picked up the machine for short money. Was surprised a 5-22 auger I had kicking around used the same gearbox and gear.
I think the fact that those gearboxes are the same is the real story here. Pretty weak for a bigger, stronger machine.:sad2:

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I think the fact that those gearboxes are the same is the real story here. Pretty weak for a bigger, stronger machine.:sad2:
Only if they took a gearbox designed for a little machine, and just re-used it for the big & powerful ones. It's possible it was designed for the big machines, and they did the little ones a favor by giving them the same beefy gearbox.

I don't have proof (haven't pulled up parts lists), but I suspect that Ariens uses the same gearbox in a lot of their machines, for instance. Whether a little 24", or a big 32". That isn't necessarily a problem, though, as long as the gearbox can handle the big setup.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I'd like to think they don't know any better but I'm sure there are some people just too cheap or too lazy to get spare shear pins.

My dad was a Maguyver mechanic, and cheap. I inherited his 922003 from him, and the gear box was always noisy. Just last month, it gave way completely. A week prior, I checked the shear pins, and nuts and bolts were in it instead.

That was my dad. He had a hardware store full of nuts and bolts. Shear pins cost money, and given his driveway was all limestone rock, he probably went through a bunch of shear pins through the years.

I changed the gear case oil and pins. I kid you not, I got only a couple tablespoons of gruel out of the gear case. So, 5 oz of L3. The very next time I spun the attachment, it blew plowing 3" of snow for 5 feet.

I decided when the gear case grenaded that it would be cheaper to buy a used machine with a good gear case, which I found. I then drained the gear case oil out of the now grenaded gear case knowing it was now parts and I didn't want it to leak out.

Bits and pieces of metal pieces came with it. The auger rakes just spun, but the new shear bolts were intact. The gear case was now whisper quiet. I'm assuming all the teeth are now gone and it was barely hanging on by it's last toofus ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts