Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spent so much time looking for a good material for impeller kits. I first started installing them 2 winters ago with mud flap material that is NOT holding up very well. I have seen threads here that belting material works better . But can not find sources. Our local Tractor Supply does not carry it.

Not sure what is a good size. 1/2 inch? I think mud flap is 3/8 inch but it is only single ply. Belting material is 3 ply I think , thereby much stronger. I am assuming that 3 inch wide would be okay.

Have checked Ebay, Amazon , Google , etc. perhaps not using correct key words in search

I'm not doing 50-100 . Perhaps 25 sets over the next couple winters.

Can someone point me to a good online source please? Preferably one that you have experience with.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
If you are talking about TSC, store may not stock it but can order?? Not sure what minimum length would be.

In my experience 1/2 " belting would be a little stiff.

Do you have any farming done or gravel pits, in your area, they often have belting material.

Was the mud flap you used, off a commercial tractor trailer, i have an old one i picked up off the hiway, and it is belted or layered.

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are talking about TSC, store may not stock it but can order?? Not sure what minimum length would be.

In my experience 1/2 " belting would be a little stiff.

Do you have any farming done or gravel pits, in your area, they often have belting material.

Was the mud flap you used, off a commercial tractor trailer, i have an old one i picked up off the hiway, and it is belted or layered.
I checked the mudflap and it is belted but too thin. after 2 winters the impeller flaps have pieces missing from them . I even looked on TSC website and could not find belting. I even searched SBF for past threads on this because i remember some that had some sources listed but can not find these old threads.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
light truck tire side wall works great, is obviously very durable, and best of all ..free !

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
I used baler belt from TSC, bought it probably 5 years ago. It's cloth reinforced, and seems to be holding up great, last time I checked. I want to say mine is maybe 1/8" thick, I can try to remember to check at some point. Perhaps it's a bit thicker, but I don't think it's more than 1/4". IMO, you don't want it super-thick, since that kind of makes a "shelf" for the snow to catch on, as it slides off the impeller. Assuming you put it on the snow-side, of course, not on the back side.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have spent so much time looking for a good material for impeller kits. I first started installing them 2 winters ago with mud flap material that is NOT holding up very well. I have seen threads here that belting material works better . But can not find sources. Our local Tractor Supply does not carry it.

Not sure what is a good size. 1/2 inch? I think mud flap is 3/8 inch but it is only single ply. Belting material is 3 ply I think , thereby much stronger. I am assuming that 3 inch wide would be okay.

Have checked Ebay, Amazon , Google , etc. perhaps not using correct key words in search

I'm not doing 50-100 . Perhaps 25 sets over the next couple winters.

Can someone point me to a good online source please? Preferably one that you have experience with.

Thanks in advance.
I bought this at Home Depot last February. Impeller rubber I Haven't used it long but it has worked great so far and seems meet the requirements: Three ply and 1/4" thick. It made a big difference in my HS728.

It looks like Home Depot is out of it right now but maybe if you search for
Cloth Inserted SBR 1/4 in. x 24 in. x 12 in. 70A Rubber Sheet - Black
You wil find it somewhere else.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi,
I used this. Seemed to work well but only 4 blows last season so no life test.
I got it because another member recommended it. He said it has a long life.
As always YMMV.

amazon.com/gp/product/B00L8NWD3A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SBR (Styrene Butadiene Rubber) Sheet, 70 Shore A, Black, Smooth Finish, No Backing, 0.25" Thickness, 6" Width, 36" Length

Herb

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought this at Home Depot last February. Impeller rubber I Haven't used it long but it has worked great so far and seems meet the requirements: Three ply and 1/4" thick. It made a big difference in my HS728.

It looks like Home Depot is out of it right now but maybe if you search for
Cloth Inserted SBR 1/4 in. x 24 in. x 12 in. 70A Rubber Sheet - Black
You wil find it somewhere else.
thanks

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi,
As always YMMV.

amazon.com/gp/product/B00L8NWD3A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SBR (Styrene Butadiene Rubber) Sheet, 70 Shore A, Black, Smooth Finish, No Backing, 0.25" Thickness, 6" Width, 36" Length

Herb
thanks

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

This is the stuff I use now, easy to cut, shape and lasts. My local TSC has it in stock all the time or you can free ship to your local store (assuming it's not a 100 mile trip for you:))
SKU 1029566
I put in a Lake Tahoe
Shopping Cart
this is what I was looking for. They ship for $12. Not at my local TSC.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you have a skating rink in your town you might try talking to the maintenance guy, all the floor areas coming off the ice are usually covered in thick belting material they might have some old scraps kicking around.

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi,
As always YMMV.

Herb
I bought some of this stuff and will try. thanks. a lot thicker than the mud flap material I was using.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts