Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Selling for a relative that has a Toro Power max 826 OE. Machine is in excellent condition used very little and meticulously maintained and serviced. Bought from a Toro dealer about 10 years ago. Paid big money for it then ( $1600)... They are wanting to sell it now as they no longer need it. BUT.. I see HD advertising this almost same machine for $1099. I'm thinking it even comes with heated hand grips and some kind of steering assist which the old model does not have. They're thinking half of their purchase price ,I'm thinking not .
What your opinion on this .???
Thanks Bill

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
What's your 10 year old car worth ......

Just saying that what you pay for something new does not necessarily mean you will recoup big money years later.

I would imagine you would have to search some ads in your area and see what there going for, as price is relevant to the area, time of year ..... You should get the higher end if it is in that great a shape.

jmho

·
Premium Member
5,387 Posts
Selling for a relative that has a Toro Power max 826 OE. Machine is in excellent condition used very little and meticulously maintained and serviced. Bought from a Toro dealer about 10 years ago. Paid big money for it then ( $1600)... They are wanting to sell it now as they no longer need it. BUT.. I see HD advertising this almost same machine for $1099. I'm thinking it even comes with heated hand grips and some kind of steering assist which the old model does not have. They're thinking half of their purchase price ,I'm thinking not .
What your opinion on this .???
Thanks Bill
go to allofcraigslist.com and type in this model and see all the listings nationwide ( if any ) for this. may give you general idea of worth.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
they can try for 1/2 the original price if they want. better to start high than too low. you definitely have to look around at what people are asking for the machine. i know i sold one the other day. most people were asking $3-400 for a similar machine. i listed mine for $200 since it had a bad electric start gear and it sold in less than 24 hours for full asking price where the machines for $3-400 are still sitting on the market for sale. i guess it just really depends on what people thinks a machine is worth.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I know in my area the 5 -$800 machines sit quite some time before (if) they sell. I thinking too starting $700 +/- and see where that goes. Nothing to lose I guess.
I know people seem more likely to spend more when they can lay down a credit card. Most people don't have $800 cash laying around.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I see HD advertising this almost same machine for $1099.
people buy used machines to save money,

if somebody can buy almost the same machine NEW WITH WARRANTY for $1100 then you are likely only going to get half that money at the most for a 10 year old machine,

honestly, if i was looking at buying your machine the maximum i would go would be around $400

the price the machine was purchased for 10 years ago is not relevant......at all

·
Premium Member
5,387 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I know in my area the 5 -$800 machines sit quite some time before (if) they sell. I thinking too starting $700 +/- and see where that goes. Nothing to lose I guess.
I know people seem more likely to spend more when they can lay down a credit card. Most people don't have $800 cash laying around.
If you can wait, then wait until it snows........it changes peoples' minds.

·
Premium Member
5,387 Posts
people buy used machines to save money,

if somebody can buy almost the same machine NEW WITH WARRANTY for $1100 then you are likely only going to get half that money at the most for a 10 year old machine,

honestly, if i was looking at buying your machine the maximum i would go would be around $400

the price the machine was purchased for 10 years ago is not relevant......at all
unless it is a Honda. some people are hip to the fact that older Hondas are better than the new ones. you wont probably believe this but I have sold about 5-6 old hondas for MORE than what they cost new. A lot of my 10 year old Honda's go for around 70-80 % or more from the brand new price.

but generally , with other brands , you are correct.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you can wait, then wait until it snows........it changes peoples' minds.
Yea its no hurry. Don't know if they really give 2 blanks if it sells or not.
Though I will say whoever buys It would have themselves a very nice snowblower.

IMG_20201017_105228.jpg

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Nice looking snowblower. The paint on those really holds up nice.
If it were me I'd make note in the ad that it's got the Briggs and Stratton engine on it. Some folks really dig those power plants.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts