Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I have read it here before but I can't find it even with the search function. I have a brand new 28 SHO, at highest idle setting it is 3650-3680 rpms, is that optimum for blowing? I have read elsewhere that there is a spring to move to increase? On a new model would you adjust it or is it OK as is?

Thx Cliff

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
That sounds about right, at least. Does your Owner or Service manual list a spec for engine RPM? My machine is older, but RPM is in one of my manuals, in Specifications.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I can only speak to Tecumseh HMSK80 and that was in a Bolens 824 manual.

They printed idle should be 1700RPM and High speed should 3450RPM.

I can never find recommended RPM's in Tec. manuals.

·
Banned
474 Posts
I know I have read it here before but I can't find it even with the search function. I have a brand new 28 SHO, at highest idle setting it is 3650-3680 rpms, is that optimum for blowing? I have read elsewhere that there is a spring to move to increase? On a new model would you adjust it or is it OK as is?
Thx Cliff

3600RPM is not an idle setting. Do you have a tach installed and is it correct in installation. You could go higher at the expense of engine life though.
Written by a humble and more than "fit" dual CMAT and CTT back in the day factory trained by Ford and GM, Fleet Mgr., Mechanical claims adjuste

·
Registered
340 Posts
Full RPM is spec-ed by Ariens at 3600 +/- 100 for most of the newer stuff, so you're in spec. LCT specs the engine as being good for 3850 +/-50 as max RPM, IIRC. So it could be spun a little faster, with minor potential concerns for gearbox, etc. durability.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really meant full RPM, not idle speed. I do have a tach installed, I am close enough for me not to screw with it. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
983 Posts
My Ariens machine was at 3500 rpm when I got it new. I was disappointed in its throwing capability compared to my Craftsman 11/30 which was running at 3750 rpm. I adjusted the Ariens governor spring to the outermost hole on the short arm and gained 200 rpm to run at 3700 rpm. With that increased rpm the Ariens came alive and I am very pleased.

I think that changing the governor spring will increase the engine rpm from 3650 to 3850 or so. The fixed end of the governor spring is a raised tab on the air flow cover on the side of the cylinder on gas tank side. To reduce the rpms down from 3850 the tab would need to be moved toward the crankshaft to shorten the spring a little. Trial and error probably. I have pics of the locations.

3650 to 3680 sounds about right to me as a compromise, but I like faster.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts