Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread is meant to document my restoration and rebirth of a 1980 Ariens ST724 blower.

Purchased 1/29/15
Price 75.00
Condition Fair
Known Issues - Motor stalled while running, will not restart/turn over.
Goal - Get back to running condition, and slowly disassemble and refurbish summer of 2015/16

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your ability to fit it in your car is impressive! Can't wait to see what else you can do with it.
Thanks man, that was the plan, I couldnt believe I got the hatch closed. I am on the search for a motor as a back up plan.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Nice truck! :D
My wife and were traveling a few years back and stopped by an antique shop about 100 miles from our home. Decied to buy 6 old wooden chairs. We're in a Honda Prelude, you know, the little doorstop looking car? Don't ask me how but we got all 6 chairs in that car. I know it sounds impossible but somehow we got them in there.
Cool pics of a cool blower.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
If you are looking for cheap you can get the Harbor Freight 212cc engine for around $100 with coupons. Will be easy to swap it on there either permanently or just to use for this winter.

Also like the great packing skills. Even more impressive because I know how heavy those things are.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, I think i have found a Techumseh 7hp from an early 90's model, for free that I may swap on if I can break the piston free from the cylinder.

Resto right now wont be crazy but summer time it will. What is everyone using for paint (close to original color as possible)

Think It may get a good sanding, hit with some por15 and paint.

·
Registered
273 Posts
This should be good...stick with it once you get started...I plan to do the same to the 932017 once the weather warms.

PS: You should try and get that original motor back to running condition. Use a temp motor if you want to use the machine this winter

·
Registered
381 Posts
Since you're calling this "Orange Crush" you better make sure it has lots of mods. Lights, big chrome stack exhaust, wheelie wheels....

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was implying the "crush" would come from my expected expense....that this would CRUSH my budget..... :(

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Thanks guys, I think i have found a Techumseh 7hp from an early 90's model, for free that I may swap on if I can break the piston free from the cylinder.

Resto right now wont be crazy but summer time it will. What is everyone using for paint (close to original color as possible)

Think It may get a good sanding, hit with some por15 and paint.
The Tecumseh got a stuck piston? That is a cool bore engine meaning it has no cast iron liner. I not sure how much luck you will have trying to break that piston free without causing further damage. The 212cc Predator engines are real strong runners and they compare well to 8hp flat heads engines in power. The 3 01 cc Predator is a nice engine too and it will be an absolute beast with that engine on it. Plus the 7 to 10hp Tecumseh flat heads are notorious for blowing connecting rods.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The Tecumseh got a stuck piston? That is a cool bore engine meaning it has no cast iron liner. I not sure how much luck you will have trying to break that piston free without causing further damage. The 212cc Predator engines are real strong runners and they compare well to 8hp flat heads engines in power. The 3 01 cc Predator is a nice engine too and it will be an absolute beast with that engine on it. Plus the 7 to 10hp Tecumseh flat heads are notorious for blowing connecting rods.
The older Tecumsehs had an aluminum cylinder?
I didn't know that, I assumed because my HMSK was a cast iron sleeve that all of them had been.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Started teardown, first removed fuel tank, electric starter and pull cord.

Next was the cylinder head

Things were looking positive, cyinders had good cross hatching (for what I could see) I did check the oil looks pretty nasty but did have correct amount and smelled loaded with fuel.

Piston is good, rod and crank are junk. I have 3 options.

new "rebuild kit with used crank
used rotating assembly
used engine (7 or swap an 8hp)
new china junk (not high on list of options but still have to consider it)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Started teardown, first removed fuel tank, electric starter and pull cord.

Next was the cylinder head

Things were looking positive, cyinders had good cross hatching (for what I could see) I did check the oil looks pretty nasty but did have correct amount and smelled loaded with fuel.

Piston is good, rod and crank are junk. I have 3 options.

new "rebuild kit with used crank
used rotating assembly
used engine (7 or swap an 8hp)
new china junk (not high on list of options but still have to consider it)
Assuming the crank size is correct and everything lines up this is my vote :

Honda GX240.
7.9HP NET.

Will beat any engine out there at everything, in my opinion. Probably by far the most costly solution, but won't let you down either.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
330 Posts
No Sir,

It's 270CC model GX240.

The only one I see at Northertool seems to be a fancy model or something.

240cc Honda Horizontal Engine GX240 QA2

A GX270 would work as well power wise as it's 8.5HP Net. I do see one of those at Northern for just under $600.

One of the big reasons I have a lot of respect for Honda engine's is they still publish horsepower and they use NET rather than gross like Briggs. Gross being with muffler and air filter removed, nice huh? Snowblowers don't typically have air filters, but they do have mufflers.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts