Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there!

Picked up my Uncle's original Ariens snowblower last Monday after he tipped me off that he was no longer interested in it. Upon taking delivery, I immediately tried to start her to no avail, but it had compression!

Off to the store where I picked up fresh oil, new plug, carb cleaner, and a gallon of 93 octane gas to try and revive it. After a three hour session and some carb tuning, she fired right up!

Now I found this site due to some research and came across Sscotsman's website that deciphers the different vintage Ariens models. Great site by the way!

My only question for the forum is I am just curious about the year on this beast. If I read correctly I have a 1965 built on the 22nd of October. The model stamp reads H60-75003E and serial is 5295 12062.

Anyways glad to be apart of the forum and looking forward to helping and learning!

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Welcome from the Keystone state. Nice blower and in good condition. It'll last you a long time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One minor problem friends. For some reason , when I run my blower, the screw that controls the fuel pressure vibrates itself out and a steady stream of gas comes pouring out. The precious owner had a nest of thin gauge wire wrapped around said screw. There has to be something wrong with the screw, I'm just wondering if this screw is replaceable or if I should just rig up another homemade patch to keep it from coming out.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
put some jb around it to hold it in place or get a new gas tank. the threads are probably worn if its loosening itself. you could also try loctite but the gas might stop it from working right

·
Registered
36 Posts
vibrating out

One minor problem friends. For some reason , when I run my blower, the screw that controls the fuel pressure vibrates itself out and a steady stream of gas comes pouring out. The precious owner had a nest of thin gauge wire wrapped around said screw. There has to be something wrong with the screw, I'm just wondering if this screw is replaceable or if I should just rig up another homemade patch to keep it from coming out.
How about a light spring. Just enough tension to keep it from spinning out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Welcome Will,

As Shryp has said it is a fuel shut off valve and looks similar the first pic he posted. All the ones I have seen on Ariens machines have wire mesh filter (looks like a drinking straw) that goes in side the tank. These are easily found for $9 - 14 just about anywhere. Or if you can't find one there is a replaceable rubber o ring inside that can be found at any hardware store for a few pennies. The one I have pictured is slightly different than the one on your machine.

Replace that fuel line while you are at it. It will save you down the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
You got the old gal for a good price too, can't beat that.
And a save from going to the grave.:)
Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, you guys rock. I am going to order up that new part and that will solve the frustrating fuel issue. I really appreciate the advice!

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Wow, you guys rock. I am going to order up that new part and that will solve the frustrating fuel issue. I really appreciate the advice!
Make sure you order the correct one. The ones I linked to just looked similar to me so not sure if they will work or not.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Nice machine! How does the screw look like when removed? One option is to modify it so it no longer stops the fuel when it is screwed all the way in. Then you can just locktite it in place (functioning as a full time plug). You will loose the fuel shutoff function, but you can add an inline shutoff valve when replacing the fuel line as suggested in a previous post.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Make sure you order the correct one. The ones I linked to just looked similar to me so not sure if they will work or not.
Agreed, If you can empty the tank, and remove that shut off, you can take it down to your local hardware store and match up those threads. Often they have a card of both SAE and Metric threads. May take some time an effort, but you will get it right.

That said, unless you have a set of thread gauges.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey all.... Well I took your advice and picked up the new fuel shut off part and it threaded in like a charm. We got 17 inches of snow in chicago this past weekend and I was anxious to try out my beast. We had about 7 inches of light to medium powder down and I was off.

Now I am sad to report, it didnt do very well. I got it started and started to make my first pass. The snow was thrown no more than 3-4 feet and that was with the engine singing at full power. I made about a 40 foot cut through the driveway, and it died at the end of the driveway. A few more pulls on the cord and it started back up. The issue is, every few feet it would die. Frustrated I took it back to the garage and started fiddling with the carb , etc. To my dismay/ pleasure, my neighbor saw me struggling and brought over his 30in width , 14hp beast of a MTD blower and hurled the snow 30-40 feet.

He let me give it a whirl and man it was powerful. Watched the super bowl and the blower was on my mind the entire time. Went back to the garage and started messing with the levers on the carb and got her running MUCH better. the snow throw was still kinda dismal but I was able to blow the driveway of about another 6-8 inches of snow. The neighbor suggested the belt may be shot if the throwing was so poor, but on visually inspecting it, it felt taught, etc

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Have you looked into the impeller kits? Could also be your engine isn't running at 3600 rpm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you looked into the impeller kits? Could also be your engine isn't running at 3600 rpm.
I did look into those and may want to give one a try. I can't hold the blower at fault for not being able to compete with that $1,300 dollar blower the neighbor was using. Being 51 years old, it still did its job after I took the new plug out, dried it of gasoline and messed with the throttle. I will have to take a picture of what I did, but it kept it running for a solid 10 mins and I was very happy with that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Will,

By no means will I say your sexy machine will ever be able to compete with your neighbor's 14hp beast. With a proper carb cleaning and tuning it should do you proud. If you want it throw further after it is running flawlessly look into adding an impeller kit as Shryp mentioned above. with that said, I have yet to add them to my machines.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Those impeller kits do work wonders, I put one on a Toro I pikced up for my brother in law last year and it was like a whole new machine. I would also check the belt and rpm as others stated, that machine should throw pretty good on its own, something's gotta be off.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I wouldn't even go as far as an impeller kit. I think it's time to change the auger bearing and auger bushings at the ends of the auger. If the bearings are bad you're not going to get as much distance tossing the snow.

If you hear a low howl when you engage the auger, it's bearing/bushing time. The auger should be nearly silent when engaged.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts