Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Using a roof rake is very tiresome - I think maybe even more than shoveling snow !

For those that own the alternative rook rake systems, let me hear it.

I think any rake system is okay with powdery snow.
I'm talking wet heavy snow buildup.

I was looking online and came across these

Phillips Snow Cutter, better than a roof rake and other methods!

Roof Razor
MinnSNOWta Roof Razor® Titan Roof Rake

Most recent BEST Snow Removal Investment Purchased 2015 - Picked up a nice Forged Ice Chopper/Scraper with a 4 foot handle on ice. My old ones seemed liked kids toys compared to this

·
Registered
434 Posts
The Avalanche Snow Removal Products are FANTASTIC (these are unbiased comments - I have no connection to the company). It's a long pole and frame with wheels that rolls up your roof that has a long plastic sheet that is attached. Chunks of snow are cut and break loose and then slide down the plastic and off the roof. The plastic sheet is slippery and is what make this system unique. No muscle effort is required. For many homes, you can use it standing on the ground without using a ladder.

I've used the Avalanche 500 and it's great but I think the Avalanche 750 would be better with the larger wheels.

Watch their video which is on their home page.

Products - Avalanche Snow Removal

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw the avalanche but there was NUMEROUS reviews of the fiberglass head breaking more earlier than later. And the manuf. does not sell it as a seperate part for replacement, so you're left with a $150 paperweight

·
Registered
434 Posts
I saw the avalanche but there was NUMEROUS reviews of the fiberglass head breaking more earlier than later. And the manuf. does not sell it as a seperate part for replacement, so you're left with a $150 paperweight
I think there may be confusion with their roof rake ($55) which has a PLASTIC head. I've never used one and wouldn't - too much work.

The rolling cutters (Avalanche 500 and 750) have METAL FRAMES and don't break.

PS edit - I did find a comment about the plastic connector breaking which holds the metal frame. The owner contacted the manufacturer and was sent a replacement at no charge. They said they had a bad batch of plastic and the problem was resolved. All I know is that I used the Model 500 extensively and my neighbor is still using it without problems for at least 4 winters.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Do my three kids that old enough, count?

They aren't gas fueled, but occasionally gas filled..:D

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think there may be confusion with their roof rake ($55) which has a PLASTIC head. I've never used one and wouldn't - too much work.

The rolling cutters (Avalanche 500 and 750) have METAL FRAMES and don't break.

The Coupler *head attachment* for the frame if not the handle, is either plastic or fiberglass

·
Registered
709 Posts
There's been a video of something like that going around FB where it cuts snow and the snow slides down a plastic strip. Fantastic idea!!! I may buy or make something like that this summer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts