Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,

First post here. Hopefully not redundant to another already posted but forgive me if it is.

I'm up here at 9600' in Breckenridge, CO, where we get upwards of 500" of snow a year and at times a dump of 10-20 inches is not unheard of.

I'm hitting 68 this year and while twenty years of shoveling the sidewalk and driveway has been good exercise, I'm about done with that. All my neighbors have Toro's and laugh at me (nicely) shoveling all the time.

Problem I have is no room in the two car garage to put a snow thrower. I would like to put it on my covered porch, perhaps under an insulated tarp, electric start of course, maybe put a space heater under it for an hour or so before I use it, whatever, but I have read that ice freezing up on the auger could be a major bummer, shear pins blowing out, etc. Am I dreaming?

The porch is also two steps up, thought I could build a small ramp for winter use, but do you think it would roll up there for me?

I can't believe there aren't kids like I was anymore that want to earn money shoveling!

Anyway, you guys may be able to reassure me....or tell me I'm screwed

Thanks,

Retired ship captain living in the mountains

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
hello breakcapt, welcome to SBF!! why not build a lean to on the garage to store the snowblower, I'm going to do that in the spring to make more room in my little one car garage. there are a few on the board that do store there blowers under a waterproof tarp

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would have that infamous "architectural review committee" citing me the covenants! I could do that on the wraparound deck maybe. We do get sub zero temps, of course, but usually doesn't snow when that cold. Maybe I could put something on the deck in the blind side of the porch. Thanks

·
Registered
397 Posts
They're pretty much all self-propelled, so going up a ramp ought not be a problem . . . . and really, most are narrow enough that they should fit in between the front fenders of two vehicles in the two car garage IF the drivers are reasonable careful. Measure a couple.

·
Registered
639 Posts
You would need special conditions to have ice issues in auger between uses. Id assune in CO theres dry snow conditions. Here in mass end of driveway snow is extremely dense, and filled with salt. Auger is never an issue. Just make sure the shute doesnt have snow packed in it when parked. I have 2 machines, both are outside all year long under tarps.

-efisher-

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
...I have 2 machines, both are outside all year long under tarps.-efisher-
Curious. Do you have any rusting problems?

I had to store all of my OPE outside for a few years and I had terrible rusting. The last year I put clear plastic, then a tarp down underneath and after taking care of the rust, it was almost a non-issue.

Maybe it's just Northern Michigan, but that darn rust gets in everywhere and fast!

Reactions: eyebolt

·
Registered
639 Posts
The only way to combat rust is hosing off the machine before parking it. Salt is terrrrrrible. Will rust and rott all year long. Everyone in new england goes to the carwash for the undercarrage was after ever storm, but our cars still rott from the ground up

-efisher-

·
Registered
184 Posts
The only way to combat rust is hosing off the machine before parking it. Salt is terrrrrrible. Will rust and rott all year long. Everyone in new england goes to the carwash for the undercarrage was after ever storm, but our cars still rott from the ground up

-efisher-
Not practical for a car but would work for spraying down a snow blower

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000AXVG9/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1483585759&sr=8-2&keywords=salt+away&dpPl=1&dpID=41B%2BPz-oZdL&ref=plSrch

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Not practical for a car but would work for spraying down a snow blower
I've heard there are some car washes (They've always been called Quarter car washes around here) that have an undercarriage spray system. I'd like to find one.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The only way to combat rust is hosing off the machine before parking it. Salt is terrrrrrible. Will rust and rott all year long. Everyone in new england goes to the carwash for the undercarrage was after ever storm, but our cars still rott from the ground up -efisher-
Odd/Funny, but my county uses very little salt and more sand and calcium chloride, so it's not as big a deal here. I've only hosed my equip down around April. Between Nov and end of Mar its usually just frozen. :icon-cold:

Reactions: colin.p

·
Registered
177 Posts
Are you sure you don't have 20" to spare, Ariens has the compact 20. Or a Toro single stage is only 21 inches. Any thing would be better than shoveling even if it starts rusting from being stored outside. The Toro only weighs 81 pounds so it would be easy to pull up the stairs like a two wheel dolly.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Are you sure you don't have 20" to spare, Ariens has the compact 20. Or a Toro single stage is only 21 inches. Any thing would be better than shoveling even if it starts rusting from being stored outside. The Toro only weighs 81 pounds so it would be easy to pull up the stairs like a two wheel dolly.
I was thinking the same thing. Behind the car between the car and garage door. All you need is 2'

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Curious. Do you have any rusting problems?

I had to store all of my OPE outside for a few years and I had terrible rusting. The last year I put clear plastic, then a tarp down underneath and after taking care of the rust, it was almost a non-issue.

Maybe it's just Northern Michigan, but that darn rust gets in everywhere and fast!
No rust up here, unlike down in Florida where my ac units rust out after about seven years by the beach. Very low humidity and nada salt being about twenty miles west of the continental divide at 9600'.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Odd/Funny, but my county uses very little salt and more sand and calcium chloride, so it's not as big a deal here. I've only hosed my equip down around April. Between Nov and end of Mar its usually just frozen. :icon-cold:
Yeah, calcium chloride on the main roads but my driveway is on a private road that they don't plow. Now, sometimes an issue getting my lug nuts off the car tires for changing out summer/winter. Btw, we get snow starting perhaps on Halloween through April.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You would need special conditions to have ice issues in auger between uses. Id assune in CO theres dry snow conditions. Here in mass end of driveway snow is extremely dense, and filled with salt. Auger is never an issue. Just make sure the shute doesnt have snow packed in it when parked. I have 2 machines, both are outside all year long under tarps.

-efisher-
What do you think of the space heater idea just to use under the tarp for a half hour or so? I'm not so stupid as to allow it unattended but either before use or after?

·
Registered
381 Posts
You shouldn't need any heater if you have electric start. Yes, it takes me more pulls to start my machine when cold but I only have a rope. If you HAVE to store it on the porch I would just shoot it down with WD-40 often, and have a chain and lock on it and take any key inside.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I would not want any heat as that may cause snow to melt and freeze up as soon as it hit the cold temp. out side. been blowing snow since 1985 and never kept blower in a warm place just a unheated shed and garage just do not leave wet snow in or near the impeller.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yeah, calcium chloride on the main roads but my driveway is on a private road that they don't plow. Now, sometimes an issue getting my lug nuts off the car tires for changing out summer/winter. Btw, we get snow starting perhaps on Halloween through April.

Try anti-seize where the lug meets the rim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 50 Posts