Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just figured I'd post this question to the group because we've all heard about how us men don't read directions and won't ask for directions(It's funny we all seem to ask for directions here!!:D) I am hoping for a discussion that brings out the good information that's in the manual as well as get some thoughts on what information we might think the manufacturer's should include, but they don't. Whenever I get a new piece of equipment, regardless if it's brand new out of the box or well seasoned, I read the owners manual front to back.(I normally skip the foreign language sections;)) If I buy it well seasoned and a manual is not provided I search for one. I thank everyone here that makes them available at no charge...as they are priceless gifts. Personally, I want to understand my machine and how it works before I use it. Snowblowers are serviceable machines unlike most of the electronic devices that we use. If my coffee maker stops working I can't just tear it down and fix it, but if my snowblower breaks down I'm gonna fix it because it was designed to be fixed. So what do you all think is it worth your time to read the owner's manual? Personally I think that the manufacture should include copy's of the Owner's Manual and Parts & Service manuals with all purchases.

Henry

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
i read the owners manual for my powerlite and craftsman from cover to cover and i have read parts of the owners manuals of the other toro's in the stable

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I like manuals too. I keep the paper copies handy and also download the electronic versions when I can. I keep those on my iPad and find them a handy reference when I'm here on the forum talking snowblowers.

·
Premium Member
5,201 Posts
Just about everything I own I bought used. Whenever I go to look at the equipment I always ask about the owner's manual. Most times they give me the deer in the headlights look but sometimes they have it all in a neat package along with the original sales recpt. Now, do I always read them? I have to say I don't read them cover to cover but I do look through them. Kind of strange actually since I consider myself an avid reader. I usually have three or four books going at all times.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
I usually figure out how everything works through trial and error and then go back and read the directions.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I always read the manual, I especially like to digest the schematic on the unit to see how everything goes together. I'm big into PM (preventive maintainence) and like to address potential problems on my terms , not when they pop up at the (always) wrong time when the unit is needed the most.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Owners manual I read up a bit about the major maintenance points on the blower.
Parts manual. A must have.
Repair manual. If they are available I also print them out especially if there is a complicated part on the machine.
Engine Manual. I also keep a copy of these if they are available.

I keep all my stuff in a binder with my maintenance logs for each machine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts