Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a few of you guys have mentioned painting your mufflers. Is this worthwhile as does it last or does it just then burn off. If it does last, what paint are you using

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Get high temp exhaust paint an auto parts store. Should do the trick. Might also be called header paint. Mfd by many different companies. Withstands temps from 1000-2000 degrees. Heck. Wally World might have it as well.

·
Premium GOT Member
9,694 Posts
FYI 500 degree high heat paint burns off a Honda muffler. I use 2000 degree Rustoleum high heat paint on dozens of mufflers with success.

Half the stuff I learn from homework.
Another half by experience.
Another half by trial and error.
And the rest from speaking to mechanics that know 10 times more than me.

so that makes 200% good

·
Super Moderator
162 Posts
It will stay on if you use the right paint and paint it over bare steel. You have to take the time to get all the old paint and rust off then clean the steel with paint thinner before painting. Follow the directions on the can. Here is a garden tractor muffler I did last year. The paint has 50 or so hours on it and it's not coming off. I've done the same on car headers and had it last years. You gotta get it to bare metal though.

Prepped
Wood Gas Metal Tool Hardwood

The paint
Tin Aluminum can Automotive tire Fluid Drink

Fresh paint
Wood Gas Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Machine

50hrs later. I didn't paint the pipes
Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper Font

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Premium GOT Member
9,694 Posts
It will stay on if you use the right paint and paint it over bare steel. You have to take the time to get all the old paint and rust off then clean the steel with paint thinner before painting. Follow the directions on the can. Here is a garden tractor muffler I did last year. The paint has 50 or so hours on it and it's not coming off. I've done the same on car headers and had it last years. You gotta get it to bare metal though.

Prepped
View attachment 194128

The paint
View attachment 194129

Fresh paint
View attachment 194130

50hrs later. I didn't paint the pipes
View attachment 194131
View attachment 194132
Interesting. I have never taken off the stock paint with no problems. But I have only been doing this 5-6 years. All my mufflers are holding up well paint wise.
I use that 2000 degree paint also.

·
Super Moderator
162 Posts
Interesting. I have never taken off the stock paint with no problems. But I have only been doing this 5-6 years. All my mufflers are holding up well paint wise.
I use that 2000 degree paint also.
Back in the 80s header manufacturers would paint headers with non heat resistant paint to keep them from rusting. People painted over them with high temp paint and then it would fall off after they got hot. I stripped them and then painted the bare steel with ceramic paint and it would stay on.

If the base isn't stable the paint won't stay on. I take em down to the bare steel so I don't have to worry about the possibly compromised base. If painting over the base paint works for you--rock on with it.

·
Premium GOT Member
9,694 Posts
Back in the 80s header manufacturers would paint headers with non heat resistant paint to keep them from rusting. People painted over them with high temp paint and then it would fall off after they got hot. I stripped them and then painted the bare steel with ceramic paint and it would stay on.

If the base isn't stable the paint won't stay on. I take em down to the bare steel so I don't have to worry about the possibly compromised base. If painting over the base paint works for you--rock on with it.
okay. that explains it. all i have painted is stock Honda mufflers. i doubt thye were undercoated with non heat resistant paint at any time.

·
Somebody
3,375 Posts
The last muffler I painted was the one on the Shibaura... Briggs Vanguard 16, low-tone can. Stripped it to bare metal, cleaned thoroughly before spraying (silver high-temp). Several light coats, sun-dried.

Didn't really work. After some time the paint started to peel off in chunks.

So I dunno... maybe black would work better. All ears on this one.

·
Super Moderator
162 Posts
The last muffler I painted was the one on the Shibaura... Briggs Vanguard 16, low-tone can. Stripped it to bare metal, cleaned thoroughly before spraying (silver high-temp). Several light coats, sun-dried.

Didn't really work. After some time the paint started to peel off in chunks.

So I dunno... maybe black would work better. All ears on this one.
Scott, what was the paint you used? I did the same on the old rusty headers on my Vette (think I used VHT) and they were still silver years after painting.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Here's a Model A exhaust manifold I painted using what was called cast iron paint. I think was called flame proof by VHT.It was meant to look like raw cast iron but not rust. I baked it in an oven before actually using it.

As far as I know it's still holding up 13 years later.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper

Human body Font Material property Art Toy

Corded phone Table Telephone Hood Bumper

·
Registered
482 Posts
Whenever painting anything, prep is everything. If the foundation is no good, whatever is built on top of it is going to fail. As already said, you have to go down to bare metal, thoroughly degrease it, then, and only then, apply the paint. If you don't do this, and it lasts, you were lucky, and had a good base upon which to add your new paint.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts