Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first snowblower, an Ariens 724. The guy said he bought it new 7 years ago, and it hasn't given him any problems. It seems to be in real good shape, but it needs to have the choke partially on (2 clicks over from off) in order to run smooth. Should I be worried about this?

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
You need to clean the carb. You can get by like that for now, but it isn't optimal and you are loosing some power.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, it didn't have old gas. The guy has been using it, and we've had 3 storms in a week. It runs good with partial choke, but I will get the carb cleaned as soon as there's no snow in the forecast! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
No, it didn't have old gas. The guy has been using it, and we've had 3 storms in a week. It runs good with partial choke, but I will get the carb cleaned as soon as there's no snow in the forecast! Thanks!
Good deal graff! when you do grab a rebuild kit, be sure to get an intake gasket as well...it's possible that it's sucking-air causing a lean-condition.

Hopefully it runs like a scalded-ape when you get it back together! :D

·
Registered
668 Posts
Might also want to add a cleaning treatment like Sea-Foam to the gas tank. I doubt it will eliminate the need for partial choke, but it might help clean up some minor varnish in the carb until you get a chance to dissemble the carb for a complete and detailed cleaning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's great advice. I didn't know Seafoam would help clean the carb. I hope that does give it a little less need for choke, and a little more power. I tried going through 3-4 drifts yesterday and it was just too much for it. The wind has packed the snow and it was quite a battle making a path, never mind clearing the whole driveway area. Wished I'd bought a bigger one...but 24" storms with heavy winds are pretty rare so it should take care of it the 8-12" storms we get all the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts