Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was changing my oil yesterday and needed to add gas. I noticed lots of small particles in the tank. They were not magnetic. I only use the high purity gas from HomeDepot. The tank has a screen mesh, I'm not sure how this crap got in there. I'm concerned it will end in my carb. Can I add an inline fuel filter? If so, can someone recommend on that will work with the fuel line? I'm not sure of the diameter of the fuel lines on the platinum SHO.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
I don't use inline filters but there's nothing wrong with using them, go ahead, however the particles are already in your carb but if they are small enough they'll be flushed out without causing any problems.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Most small engine fuel line is 1/4 inch. I keep a small roll as I come across many need replacing.

A lot of the newer tanks have an internal screen over the outlet line hole.

You can pick up an in-line filter anywhere, just make sure you have enough room to cut one in, and make sure you have some extra clamps for attaching, which many times come with them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. The particles are a range of sizes. I was able to fish a few out. Some are surprisingly large. Others pretty small. I have to see how to take the tank off and wash it out. Maybe do that instead of the filter. I was looking over the unit and looks like everything is covered up as I couldn't see the fuel line. This blower has worked flawlessly since I bought it 5-6 years ago. Want to keep that same performance record. I wonder where this crap came from.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The Ariens fuel tank has a well in the bottom where the gas shut-off valve is located. The threads of the valve extend into the tank significantly and any debris will just stay in the well. There is a strainer inside the threaded tube to help avoid particles entering the fuel system.

To eliminate any particles from the well in the tank just remove the fuel shut-off valve and any debris will flow out with the gas. No need to remove the tank to remove loose particles.

Reactions: Darby and quexpress

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
Thanks. The particles are a range of sizes. I was able to fish a few out. Some are surprisingly large. Others pretty small. I have to see how to take the tank off and wash it out. Maybe do that instead of the filter. I was looking over the unit and looks like everything is covered up as I couldn't see the fuel line. This blower has worked flawlessly since I bought it 5-6 years ago. Want to keep that same performance record. I wonder where this crap came from.
is this a metal tank? even if you flush out particles you'll just get more down the road. Honda's have a fuel filter attached to tank. do ariens come without a fuel filter?

I would also remove bowl from carb for a look see.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is this a metal tank? even if you flush out particles you'll just get more down the road. Honda's have a fuel filter attached to tank. do ariens come without a fuel filter?

I would also remove bowl from carb for a look see.
Yes, it is a metal tank. I have read the ariens have a screen before the carb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts