Snowblower Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
That actually isn't a bad idea, except 3 ouf of 4 studs came out mangled with damaged threads and whatnot.

The crank chute side forward mounting hole has very tight clearance for a bolt that has a 1/2" bolt head and i had to "persuade" the bolt in place with a pry bar and hammer.

I thought about reusing the 4th stud in that location before the persuasion.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I have a Very Nice Replacement Bucket Available. Contact me Only if you are Actually Serious.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Sweet machine, nice save ! A little TLC is what it needs.

BTW, I sourced a throttle lever cable and control from Amazon that looked like that one, it was a Snapper part. In case you decide to refresh it.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have a Very Nice Replacement Bucket Available. Contact me Only if you are Actually Serious.
I picked up the replacement bucket from Jackmels this morning and I'll be continuing the mechanical restoration as weather permits.

·
Registered
146 Posts
On the old engine, you likely damaged the oil dipper when you freed up the engine as a result of the frozen contents in the crankcase. It was likely the reason the engine would only rotate so far each way until you broke the crankcase contents enough to allow it to fully rotate. :eek: Would have to be torn down for inspection before attempting to be started.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
I finally got around to swapping out the front bucket as the original one had "structural integrity" issues due to rust. Between the old bucket and the new bucket, I was able to scavenge enough hardware to complete the swap with the exception of the scraper bar. I ended up buying stainless carriage bolts/washers/locknuts from the local hardware store to install the scraper bar.

I'll probably paint the wheels and the Ariens plate at some point this summer.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
I found a 924050 today with no engine/busted auger gearbox that I decided to pick up, mainly because it came with the ~19" tall chute/8" rims with Snow Hog tires/working 4-lug differential:

I will swap out those parts into the 924040 then install the solid axle/short chute/old tires+wheels from the 924040 onto 924050's carcass. I might be able to cobble together a frankenstein machine using a spare 10ML front bucket+gearbox like stanz did here:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The differential and the painted wheels with Snow Hogs from the parts snowblower have been retrofitted today, I ended up buying new axle bearings and new bearing carriers so this turned out to be a somewhat pricey expenditure.

I also installed a tall chute (sourced from ebay) even though the parts snowblower had an identical chute. It's because the one from the parts machine needs some paint work.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Looks good! Nicely job.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
I believe I am finally done with this. I ended up painting the upper handlebars with semi-gloss black to match the lower handlebars, and also painted the Ariens nameplate.

Also added the squeeze handle for the drive wheels from the parts 924050 machine.

The Predator 212cc has Waterlooboy2hp's adjustable carb jet and ran strong during the break-in.

Come on, snow!

Added a decal on the nameplate to finish it off:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
So here's a long overdue update... I actually SOLD this snowblower last January, but it turns out that the new owner grenaded the auger gearbox after hitting something and reached out to me for help.

He had another 924 (#924082) snowblower that wasn't running, and I agreed to install the Predator engine from the one I sold him on his 924082, which I briefly mentioned on this thread. Long story short, he got his snowblower back with a Predator engine, and I got to keep my machine sans engine. This snowblower sat untouched for 8 months.

I found another 924 snowblower this morning that had the teardrop bucket and the cast iron gearbox. I picked it up and and did the front end swap (my 924040 now has a teardrop bucket and cast iron gearbox).

I haven't decided on the engine yet, but it will likely be a GX390 from a power washer that I picked up with a bad pump. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Here's a quick mock-up up of the GX390 physically on top of the frame. Don't let the complete appearance fool you, though.

There are no belts, no pulleys, and no mounting bolts; the engine's not mounted yet.

It will need 4 new mounting holes drilled and the new holes will need to be drilled where the deck starts to have more of an angle to account for the handlebar studs. It should work but there's not much room for error.

I still have the power washer frame so I'm going to make a template off of the power washer frame before I start drilling.

The valve cover side of the engine clears the chute rod and it looks like I can move the engine far back enough towards the control panel so that I won't have clearance issues with the chute.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
I got quite a bit done this afternoon:

4 new mounting holes were drilled for the GX390 engine.
The impeller bearing was replaced.
Added a stock crank pulley from an Ariens 924082.
Installed a belt cover riser from @Shaw351.
Added new skids
Drilled out the main jet on the GX390 and tried out the adjustable carb jet

It runs and drives, I'm trying out a 1/2" x 38" belt and am waiting for it to stretch out a bit, because the augers still spins a bit even with the auger lever in the off position.

I might need to repaint the muffler cover at some point since its surface rust makes the engine look kind of ratty. Too bad there's no snow for me to test with.

Attachments

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Thanks, BeerGhost.

I rotated the recoil starter 120 degrees today so that I could pull it from the other side of the snowblower (much more clearance with this config). I also installed a new NGK BPR6ES spark plug.

Finally, it looked like the pictures weren't loading 100% of the time, so I attached them to the posts instead.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Here's a quick update... as many of you may know already, the Boston area received a significant amount of snowfall between Sunday night/Monday morning.

I woke up to about 14" of snow and the EOD pile was about 3' high. It was wet and heavy.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to take any video as I was pressed for time. The summarized version is that it seemed bored by the 14" of snow. It threw a decent distance but a not great distance. It didn't clog at all, however, even with the EOD pile.

Right now I'm using a stock Ariens 824 pulley with a 2.75" auger pulley... I think I will try out a 3.25 pulley and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Did you put an impeller kit in? I just did a 12 hp Tec with that same bucket and gearbox, with a full impeller kit and I changed out the pulley to 3.5 inches. The engine didn't mind the extra diameter pulley at all, ant it really blasted the slush from Sunday.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts