Snowblower Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
New for 2019-2020 season:

1) I've upgraded from a 2.75" pulley to a 3" pulley from my Bolens parts machine. I'm trying it with a 39" Kevlar belt (the stock 2.75" pulley took a 38" belt). The drive pulley is ~2.5" on both pulleys and I didn't need to change the drive belt.

2) I ordered an aftermarket muffler & muffler guard as the original one is dented and rusted all over.

3) I disabled the low oil shutoff as it would sporadically cut out when the snowblower was tilted
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Here's the aftermarket muffler installed that makes the snowblower look a lot better:



And here's the 3" pulley with the 1/2" x 39" Kevlar belt (p/n 754-282K, $10 including shipping):



The belt cover fits with the custom risers that @Shaw351 made for me:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,292 Posts
Very Nice! The Black Paint is a Nice Touch. Have You Tried this Out Yet with the New Pulley?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,292 Posts
Not yet, Jack. I just got the pulley installed last weekend and the snow had all melted by then.

Hope to see a Video of this in Action!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I bought a 3.5" pulley earlier in the week and tried it on this afternoon:



Unfortunately, the 39" belt is a bit small and engages the augers at all times, and the 40" belt is simply too large. I didn't have a 39.5" belt in stock so now I have to wait for it to be delivered.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Nice restoration work! I’m just curious, and trying to wrap my head around the increase of the pulley size.With an increase in pulley size does this help the auger with increased power or speed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,040 Posts
If you got a big enough engine to power it, it is a beast.....I've got a 12 OHV Tec on that same platform with a 3.5 inch impeller pulley, and it is just right.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
The belt saga continues :)

The 39.5" belt does fit, but I have to set the tensioner to maximum to get sufficient tension on the belt, and as I expect the belt to stretch out a bit after use, it's not ideal.

As I have another snowblower than can use the 39.5" belt, I'm going to try a 39.3" belt next.

There is a 39.3" Toro belt (PN 26-9671) en route.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
A new impeller bearing was installed on Jan 2019 and had had about 90 minutes of runtime since. It wasn't the impeller bearing.

The right belt makes all the difference, guys, especially in a custom setup.

Here's the 39.3" belt. It went on like butter and it's juuuust right (additionally, the tensioner is at minimum and I can adjust as needed going forward).

To recap...

2.75" pulley used a 38" belt (had to be stretched out just a tad by running)
3" pulley used a 39" belt (tensioner was at minimum)
3.5" pulley used a 39.3" belt



According to the part number, it's used by 35 different Toro snowblowers and mowers, so it should be available indefinitely.

Back to waiting for snow, unfortunately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
You just screwed us db... We may as well summer-ize our snowblowers now :signlol:
:grin: What I meant to type was... as I'm SURE that we're not getting any more snow this winter, I'm going to run it dry and wait for next winter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
New for the 2020-2021 season:

1) a new 3L350 drive belt (the belt from last season apparently stretched out to the point that it would no longer drive the wheels)
2) cleaned out the pilot jet on the gx390 that had clogged up over the summer
3) cleaned out the needle/seat area as fuel seemed to be seeping a bit

169303


As we didn't get any additional snowfall after I installed the 3.5" pulley last year, so I'm looking forward to testing it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
As mentioned here back on December 2018, I sold this snowblower while it had the Predator 212cc engine to a local man who blew up the aluminum gearbox a short time later (the gearbox casing shattered). The augers were somehow undamaged from that incident, so I had kept the augers all this time, I never removed them from the damaged gearbox.

I took in a free Ariens 924082 this past January that had a bucket that had been ground down to past the scraper bar holes, but it had the upgraded cast iron gearbox and the auger bearing had been replaced at one point. I kept the gearbox in the damaged bucket for 9 months.

I finally got sick of looking at the parts that were piling up, so I bought a cosmetically challenged ~1979 bucket and decided to make one working front half of a snowblower out of all the parts I had lying around.

image_2020_10_23T18_13_02_443Z.png


A quick coat of Rustoleum Lobster Red paint:


image_2020_10_23T18_13_19_816Z.png


My original rakes+free cast iron gearbox:
169511


I would have used the black augers that came with the free 924082 snowblower, but one of them was serrated and the other was not.

169512


I'm debating which bucket to go with going forward, but I'm glad I got the bucket painted before it got any colder.
 
41 - 59 of 59 Posts
Top