Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It had been at least 3 years since I've picked up a free snowblower as I've been good about not stockpiling more units, but I managed to find the ad 3 minutes it was posted and it was only about 7 miles away, so off I went. The owner even threw in the AC cord which was a nice touch.

The model number is 31AE664E129, its owner's manual refers to it as an E664E.

It was listed as one that "won't start" - that part was true. Its electric starter is so jammed up internally that it trips the AC circuit breaker every time I tried pushing its button.

However, the snowblower starts up just fine with the recoil starter after I gave it a quick carb* cleaning. It needs new skid shoes and its muffler is toast as the old one is cracked in several places.

Augers and drive system appear to be functional (I only got to test it briefly with the RPMs close to idle as it is tremendously loud without a functional muffler).

A used replacement muffler is on its way from eBay ($7.xx w/ shipping) and 2 new MTD skids are coming via Amazon ($12.xx w/ shipping). It will never be a beauty queen but it will make a cheap serviceable snowblower for someone when I'm done with it.

It may also need the flange bushings where the auger shaft meets the bucket, this one is probably a long-term project for next winter season.

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
It had been at least 3 years since I've picked up a free snowblower as I've been good about not stockpiling more units, but I managed to find the ad 3 minutes it was posted and it was only about 7 miles away, so off I went. The owner even threw in the AC cord which was a nice touch.

It was listed as one that "won't start" - that part was true. Its electric starter is so jammed up internally that it trips the AC circuit breaker every time I tried pushing its button.

However, the snowblower starts up just fine with the recoil starter after I gave it a quick cleaning. It needs new skid shoes and its muffler is toast as the old one is cracked in several places.

Augers and drive system appear to be functional (I only got to test it briefly with the RPMs close to idle as it is tremendously loud without a functional muffler).

A used replacement muffler is on its way from eBay ($7.xx w/ shipping) and 2 new MTD skids are coming via Amazon ($12.xx w/ shipping). It will never be a beauty queen but it will make a cheap serviceable snowblower for someone when I'm done with it.
Looks to be in good shape, db130 - nice find.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
A nice machine, 8hp is a terrific size for a 24". Going to take the starter apart?, soak, sand, might be able to rescue it. I like a starter but if it starts so easy with the recoil, you'll be able to sell it without replacing the starter.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
nice find, better than my powerthrow deal price wise

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Wow, nice find for free.

Could be a nice flip.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I decided to borrow a muffler from one of my parts engines and added a headlight. The snowblower actually works pretty well. As for the electric starter, I took it apart and the casing was filled with WATER (now I know why it doesn't work). It's most likely a goner. However, I used one of my spare electric starters from my old Ariens 924040 with the old school plug. Once I get the new skids in the mail, it should be good to go... except the season's almost over.

On with the pics!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I buttoned up this snowblower just in time for today's storm in Massachusetts. The list of maintenance items was fairly extensive:

new shear pins
new muffler gasket+mounting strap
new skids + stainless mounting hardware
new scraper bar + stainless mounting hardware
new spark plug
new friction wheel
new oil
new headlight
replacement electric starter

Its throwing distance was very respectable and I was able to feed the entire bucket with 18" of snow that fell. The plastic chute only clogged up once when the snowblower encountered slush underneath the EOD stuff. Yard Machines! Who knew?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
A nice looking machine. I'm fortunate to have a welder to tack on a piece of metal to thre bottom of the skid shoes and scraper bar saving me money. New friction disk? Sorry, a greasy mess to replace.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts