Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this on CL and made the 30 minute ride to check it out. It`s an Ariens SS522E that this lady said is not running. Came with the manual for the machine, the engine, and a parts list. Date on the manual says 1996. Price was $50.00. Does not look abused or neglected at all. Ordered a new carb rebuild kit and a set of paddles. Kit came in and she started right up. Belt looks brand new. Paddles have not come in yet. Should get to try it out this weekend.
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Hood

Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looks pretty nice if in fact it is a 1996.

I see a ton like these, not Ariens, come up for sale by me in northern VA. Problem is, they aren’t that nice and for fixing and flipping I don’t really know what the return is like. Guessing even running not worth a ton. Especially down here. That’s a cool little one that you don’t see quite as often.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
All paddles eventually need replacing, I would see how it works and keep the new paddles for when it needs them.
They look bad to you?
I would clean the old carb and keep it as a spare too.
Do they have belts? Check them if so.
I never had one of those.

·
Registered
210 Posts
All paddles eventually need replacing, I would see how it works and keep the new paddles for when it needs them.
They look bad to you?
Do they still have the little wear indicator holes on the paddles? If the holes are still there they should be ok. Look at the distance the paddle is from the back of the machine if you can fit you finger between them they are worn

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Do they still have the little wear indicator holes on the paddles? If the holes are still there they should be ok. Look at the distance the paddle is from the back of the machine if you can fit you finger between them they are worn
That would make sense to have wear holes to look at.
I never had one.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks pretty nice if in fact it is a 1996.

I see a ton like these, not Ariens, come up for sale by me in northern VA. Problem is, they aren’t that nice and for fixing and flipping I don’t really know what the return is like. Guessing even running not worth a ton. Especially down here. That’s a cool little one that you don’t see quite as often.
Well, these are the numbers and date on the manuals that came with it so I don`t know why they would be false
Font Material property Parallel Paper Paper product

Sleeve Orange Font Material property Advertising

They look well built and robust. Not sure if Ariens still has parts support for this one.
Replacement parts on Amazon or Ebay and yes Ariens dealers carry the paddles.
They look bad to you?
No the paddles do not look bad but I ordered new ones and will keep the old ones for spares. I just cleaned the carb jet and replaced the needle, seat, clip and gasket. Belt looks brand new.
These paddles have a T bar for the wear indicator instead of holes.
Which part number did you use to buy the rebuild kit? I have the 7hp version of this snowblower.
I got OEM parts from this seller on Ebay

·
Registered
522 Posts
That's a sweet little unit. If I had the opportunity to pick that up for $50 I would do it without a thought. You could debate the value all day, but I think you did well. Let us know how it works, I've been thinking about picking up a little single stage like this but just can't convince myself, but if I saw that one for that price, it would be in my shop right now.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks! I think so too and will let you know. I really like the longevity of the 2 stroke motors, they`re practically bullet proof. The carb on this one was just dirty and needed a good cleaning so I just replaced the few parts.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I really like the longevity of the 2 stroke motors, they`re practically bullet proof.
Fresh fuel and proper oil mix are the secret to a long life. Nice find, good luck with it.

Reactions: The Q

·
Registered
164 Posts
i love the single stages, i have a new Ariens Pro 21, but love the old Toro Powerlite 2 strokes, they are indestructible. I just picked up another today, practically new, couldn’t have been used more then 2-3 times!
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Rim

Bag Eyewear Automotive design Hood Luggage and bags

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Asphalt

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
i love the single stages, i have a new Ariens Pro 21, but love the old Toro Powerlite 2 strokes, they are indestructible. I just picked up another today, practically new, couldn’t have been used more then 2-3 times!
That looks like a NOS unit or someone closed their snow thrower museum and put this one up for sale. (y) Very nice shape and a great find.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I bought a toro 518ze this year for the wife paid 175.00 for it. The guy had a new scraper bar and paddles he gave me as well. I think I paid too much but it works good for small areas.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
Honda HSS724 & Honda HS720
141 Posts
I always looked down on the single stage units, but comments on this forum shed light on their utility. I picked up an almost new Honda HS720 this fall. Super impressed. Anything 15 cm (6") and under I only take it out. It is no nimble. Cuts the cleaning time in half.

I subsequently bought a 7hp Murray (Briggs) single stage for my daughter. $200. She loves it.

If I could only keep one blower, it might be the one. Contract out the big snowfalls. The key reason I prefer clearing my own snow is I like a tidy job. Single stage it is.

Looks like a sweet little unit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts