Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pressed off the worn small 8 tooth sprocket that turns the auger on my bobcat. I unexpectedly tore off some of the D shaft. It seemed to have been held on by a pink substance. I know there is good wood glue stronger than the wood but have not heard this good of a steel glue... ?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Could it have been Locktite Red?
I don't think Loctite. Not without threads.
Could the pink, actually be a form of brass or silver solder (Silphos) ? I wonder if it may have been sweated on with brass or Silphos, but the joint wasn't hot enough for the brass or Silphos to completely run into the joint and properly adhere to both pieces. The pinkish color is kind of consistent with Silphos.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Could it be any flux left over and or a not so well brazed joint? You should see the brass or silver solder on both pieces.
Sid

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could it be any flux left over and or a not so well brazed joint? You should see the brass or silver solder on both pieces.
Sid
I think you've clued in on it. There is a thin yellowish surface left on some of both pieces which is probably brass. At first by not knowing enough about this procedure I wondered if there was a industrial grade glue that was able to fuse two metal surfaces together with some kind of acid process. I have a mig & stick welders but the closest thing to brazing and silver solder that I'm familiar with is my propane torch and solder. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
If you have a MAPP or acetylene torch it could help you identify the stuff.

Heat the part up... if the material burns or gives off acrid smoke at low temperature, it's glue or something similar. If it melts with the part hot but not red-hot it's solder. If it melts just as the part reaches red hot, it's brass.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts