Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a number of posts kinda trashing Toro for their use of "plastic parts". There's some places where it's appropriate to use plastic, and some places it's not.

My question is, has there been a rash of critical, or non critical plastic parts failing on Toro machines?

I really like their joystick control for the chute. My friend has one, I think it's a nice machine. I'm just wondering if there's something to the plastic thing.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I can't speak for Toro but:
The plastic they use on OPE is not the same plastic you would find a "storage tote" made of.
I have plastic on almost all of my OPE in one form or another.
Some of it is quite old.
It may fade from being stored outside in the sun, but I have not had any plastic parts fail yet.
I think the manufacturers carefully evaluate where and what to make out of plastic.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Toro has the best plastic its good to -104. We just had a snow storm the other week and it was -10 with high winds when I was blowing snow anytime the lower chute would freeze up from ice I would just smack it to get it off and keep going. We have people come in all the time saying they need there toro chute replaced I say really that's not common then they bring in a troybilt happens at least 3x a year.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Toro has the best plastic its good to -104. We just had a snow storm the other week and it was -10 with high winds when I was blowing snow anytime the lower chute would freeze up from ice I would just smack it to get it off and keep going. We have people come in all the time saying they need there toro chute replaced I say really that's not common then they bring in a troybilt happens at least 3x a year.
Both brands being red, they often get confused.

You have to figure that the plastics used would be reliable to very low temperatures, Toro being the better of the bunch.

I have a plastic chute on my Troy-bolt but have not used the machine in sub-zero (F) temperatures

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Everyone likes to bash something on here. Plastic fantastic has been moving a lot of snow for a very long time. Plastic tank, metal tank, plastic chute, metal chute. It all has its good and bad points. My older Troybilt had lots of plastic and after many years of service including a couple nice blizzards not one piece EVER failed including the trucks on the track drive. People need to relax. It’s not like they are making styrofoam auger buckets. (I shouldn’t give away my inventions so easy)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I see a number of posts kinda trashing Toro for their use of "plastic parts". There's some places where it's appropriate to use plastic, and some places it's not.

My question is, has there been a rash of critical, or non critical plastic parts failing on Toro machines?

I really like their joystick control for the chute. My friend has one, I think it's a nice machine. I'm just wondering if there's something to the plastic thing.
Trashing Toro, what? Nooooooooooo. Toro's plastic chute has proven itself over the years, there should be no doubt that it's stout. Plastic's have been evolving into where if a major manufacture has it on their machine then well ok. Look at Honda's use of NeXite polymer mower decks on their top of the line HRX mowers. My Honda mower sees way more action in one season than any snowblower ever will.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a Toro Powermax 724, and the impeller cover did crack last year (2nd season). Probably a chunk of ice, or rock from my gravel drive up at camp. I was disappointed, but Toro did replace it free of charge per the lifetime guarantee (I bought the machine from a long-standing local dealer).

I do wish it had a metal chute (the rest of the plastic does not bother me at all). Having said that, it is a great machine: very efficient and throws snow amazingly well for the rated hp, well-balanced and light, great ergonomics. I don't regret buying it.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trashing Toro, what? Nooooooooooo. Toro's plastic chute has proven itself over the years, there should be no doubt that it's stout. Plastic's have been evolving into where if a major manufacture has it on their machine then well ok. Look at Honda's use of NeXite polymer mower decks on their top of the line HRX mowers. My Honda mower sees way more action in one season than any snowblower ever will.
Trashing Toro? Not exactly trashing, but framing an argument. Using the plastic as an example, if someone says "I'm looking at Toro, brand x, brand Y, brand Z. " The metal on brand X,Y, Z is promoted as a benefit, conversely making the plastic a detriment.

SO I was just wonderin' is all.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I've been using a toro single stage since 2002 and now a 926 oxe. I have had no breaks .
That's because it's tough stuff. My dealer has 3 demo's. A 721R, a Snowmaster 724QXE, and a Powermax 824. Last time I was there one of the salesman took a hammer out and showed a customer just how tough the plastic was. As he's pounding on it I was wondering just how well a flimsy "metal" chute would hold up to the same pounding.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I once saw a single stage craftsman on craigslist with a piece of vinyl siding screwed to the front plastic cover, holding several pieces together. I should have saved the picture :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts