Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite starting on the first pull every single time (I dont even bother with electric start) it's time to retire the old yard machines (15 yrs old) and donate it to a family that I see shoveling all the time (pay it forward) that has no idea I am going to offer it to them.

I am gonna by one more that should last me until I can retire to Aruba or someplace without snow!

After tons of research and reading these very helpful forums, here are the choices:

1. Husqvarna 327P. I love the Hydro and from what I have seen, they improved upon a lot of things and this model is (or should be bulletproof)

2. Toro Powermax 928. I love the joystick and yeah, its a Toro.

The 2 most important features to me are chute control (after 15 years of bending over and cranking the stupid rod to turn the chute, I am over it. I want EASY) and The Hydro drive.

If you guys can give me a recommendation, I would appreciate it and if there is another brand that offers these features for under $1600, that you have an opinion on, let me know!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Much more members here like the Toro and it gets the job done. Good Luck

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Normex! I figured as much. It would seem I can't go wrong with the Toro but dang that Husky looks like a nice machine. I am wondering how many folks have experience with one.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
hello sabersfan, welcome to SBF!! most around here subscribe to HAT
H-HONDA
A-ARIENS
T-TORO
but there are other good snowblowers out there

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Either machine would serve you well so it's just a matter of features, color, $$ and which one "feels" good to you.
I would suggest getting it from a dealer when buying new. That way you begin a relationship with the person you might need for warranty work and for parts along the way.
Unless you're really handy and think you'll do most repairs yourself then on line or big box can save you some money but their is the occasional horror story of someone going that way.

I like the red one myself :D

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
If you live that close to the border, then I would also throw out there, Yamaha.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
If you live that close to the border, then I would also throw out there, Yamaha.
I've been thinking about yamaha's myself. I have relitives in st. catherines and hamalton and I can be in Windsor in just a matter of minutes

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Welcome to the joint. Nice job on paying it forward. I bet that family will be surprised.

As mentioned, if you stick with H A T and go thru a dealer and not a big box store, you will do just fine.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Despite starting on the first pull every single time (I dont even bother with electric start) it's time to retire the old yard machines (15 yrs old) and donate it to a family that I see shoveling all the time (pay it forward) that has no idea I am going to offer it to them.

I am gonna by one more that should last me until I can retire to Aruba or someplace without snow!

After tons of research and reading these very helpful forums, here are the choices:

1. Husqvarna 327P. I love the Hydro and from what I have seen, they improved upon a lot of things and this model is (or should be bulletproof)

2. Toro Powermax 928. I love the joystick and yeah, its a Toro.

The 2 most important features to me are chute control (after 15 years of bending over and cranking the stupid rod to turn the chute, I am over it. I want EASY) and The Hydro drive.

If you guys can give me a recommendation, I would appreciate it and if there is another brand that offers these features for under $1600, that you have an opinion on, let me know!
either one, but I'd be partial to a Husqvarna. they make good equipment.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Thanks Normex! I figured as much. It would seem I can't go wrong with the Toro but dang that Husky looks like a nice machine. I am wondering how many folks have experience with one.
I remember reading a couple of posts on this forum and these were very positive on the new, this year 300 series from guys that had bought and been using them. One was from a guy that both he and his father had bought new and had used them in two 20" snowfalls on east coast There were a couple of negative ones on the other models, one of these had to do with problems in the way the machine came assembled from the dealer. I'm hoping my machine makes it through the season and that I'm able to have more feedback on the 300 series. It would be nice to have a very affordable Honda like machine as an option.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to everyone that sent along an opinion. I really appreciate the help. To comment on s couple......yeah I def like Ariens too but I don't think I get either the simple chute control nor the hydro for the same $1600. Yeah the family has no idea so I would just like to leave it in their driveway with a note but it has a couple quirks I need to show the mom...lol but I am sure it beats the heck out of shoveling a foot at a time! I will look at Yamaha but I am thinking they have priced me out like Honda. Just when I figure I should get the Toro along comes a great review of the Husky....i think I am overthinking this...

Thanks again to everyone and keep the opinions coming!

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
when you give the neighbor family your old snowblower you will have to give snowblowing lessons and safety tips also

·
Registered
124 Posts
When you zero-in on your potential purchase make sure you visit that brand's own forum, found farther down on this sites' main page. Ask specific questions about those features.
Good luck.

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
Super nice of you to pay it forward! I'll bet the family will truly appreciate it. I'd echo detdrbuzzard's recommendation on giving lessons in safety as well as covering it's quirks when you give it to them.

The recommendation of buying from a dealer is one you'll hear over and over here at SBF. Nothing can beat having a dealer that knows his product when it comes to service in the future.

Along that lines, see if you can take snowblowers you are interested in for a test drive and see how they feel before you jump to purchase. You may just fid that the controls suit you better on one over another.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would definitely like to test drive before buying. I can turn a wrench so if I have to buy from HD I will but if price is the same, I would definitely support the local dealer.

As far as safety lessons.....yeah good call. I hadn't really thought about it. I don't know the people so I will give her the manual and tell her to run over snow only and keep your hands OUT of THERE and THERE when the engine is running. Oil is changed and I will replace all the belts and grease her up so knock on wood, hopefully it lasts her until her kids are old enough to shovel ;)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Great plan to pay it forward :cool::cool::):)
It looks like that Erie lake is froze over now. Barring a strong south or south west wind across the tail of that mean lake north of you at least the lake effect big dumps should be small from here on out this year .< crosses fingers and knocks on wood > ;)

GLCFS Annual Comparison

Just an idea , instead of just dropping it off in the driveway with a note , maybe try and catch her when she is out shoveling with the blower in hand. Say you would like help her out ,Guess she will say yes , then work into having her try it and you there to guide her along. No need to break the surprise of the pay it forward , just helping a neighbor out ;)
End of season you make your gift and have the summer to plan for and buy your new machine :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lol...my feeble brain is already on overload from deciding what machine I want. I have no desire to "surprise" anyone or have a plan. A simple "thank you now I will go do something nice for someone else" would be awesome. I am shocked how the topic has taken over when all I really wanted to know was what machine to buy! Remember? The Toro or Husky. The only reason I mentioned giving my old machine away was so nobody thought I was insane for getting rid of a machine that has been flawless for 15 yrs ;)

This is a cool forum. So much more activity than I would have guessed. Glad to be a part of it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts