Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to buy a snow blower for my home here in the northeast. Last year we got something like 55+ inches and the year before maybe a little but more then that. Ive been searching up and down the web but im still lost as to what size unit. I have a small sidewalk out front maybe 16' x 50'. then a single car wide driveway which fans out to a space about the size of 5 cars but the front of the driveway often gets about 36" high x 16' wide x 6' deep when the NYC sanitation passes by.

So ultimately what size machine width / approx HP do I need? Any particular models? (please no honda, cannot afford 2K+)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Having only used one snowblower, I don't qualify as an expert, but with the description of you area to clear, a two stage blower would seem to be a good choice.
Having had a 8 hp, 26" cut unit, I don't think I would want to go any smaller.

One thing I would definitely look at is the "Freewheel Steering" as Toro calls it. It allows you to disengage power to either or both wheels by using a trigger on the control bars.
I don't have that on my unit and mine can be a bit of a beast to move around at times.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Agree with charles on the 2 stage 8 HP. i used a 5 HP my first year and it struggled with The EOD mess the snowplows left. my old Craftsman 8 HP does just fine with it. Happy shopping. Larry

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Well I would not size the unit to that sidewalk... eaven the smallest will be too wide for it... I would worry about the snowfall, and the drive... I would be looking for something in the 8-11hp range. I ditto the statement about 5hp being a little too small. I have one, and wile it does work, a little more HP would be REAL handy. As for width... Well the 5hp one I have is realy a little too narrow, at 22"... seems most of the 8hp units run about 28 or so inches, and that sounds like a pretty good size for your onecar drive. And also what was stated... some kind of a trigger steer is REAL handy.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts