Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being on the site for a few minutes I get a “Please rotate your device” message and a black square covers the page. When I rotate my tablet I get a full page ad. When I rotate the tablet the ad clears and I can see the page normally, until I scroll to the next message. I believe that is unique to the SB site.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Not common to this site. I think you have been hacked. You might get Norton and run a scan or go back to an earlier time on your computer. Hard drives are cheap these days and easy to replace as a last resort.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Yup, had to add one to my phone too and all issues went away, https://www.malwarebytes.com/ is what I found to work the best and I only use the free version.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yup, had to add one to my phone too and all issues went away, https://www.malwarebytes.com/ is what I found to work the best and I only use the free version.

Absolute necessity, especially if banking online or any other sensitive situations. Spybot is another good program. However, a person must be diligent in using these programs routinely. Adblocker, Malware/Spyware, and Virus programs a must. The world is a crazy place...the internet is even crazier.:surprise:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Or don't run a virus magnet crap OS like Winderp . . .
Actually my PC didn’t have any issues, My iPhone had all the pop up issues and redirects, IOS isn’t really better at virus protection, Just not as used so hackers write code to hack what is most used and that has been windows. Starting to change last few yrs but windows is still the main system out there so will be the one attacked the most.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Who said anything about ios and MickeyMouseKeTosh? I'd prefeer an abacus . . .

And Windows is also attacked a lot because it is so **** easy! If it was actually secure, the entire secondary security product would die overnight due to no need. Check the results of hackfest competitions - Windows typically falls in *minutes*!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
And Windows is also attacked a lot because it is so **** easy! If it was actually secure, the entire secondary security product would die overnight due to no need. Check the results of hackfest competitions - Windows typically falls in *minutes*!
It's easy because hackers work off each others progress, and Windows is still the most widely deployed O/S in the world by a HUGE margin... AND the second most open, after Linux.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
It's easy because hackers work off each others progress, and Windows is still the most widely deployed O/S in the world by a HUGE margin... AND the second most open, after Linux.
Windows? Open? Is that like 'a little pregnant', or are the 'shrooms just kicking it?

It's a poorly designed turd, riddled with bad decisions and legacy stupidity . . .period . . .

Any other conclusion is nothing more than 'bronzing a turd' and pure fiction . . .

Mainline *nix was far, far,, more widely deployed in the enterprise until very recently, and Linux is a great competitor now, with the same security models. And guess what? Even whe it *was* the most prominent, it was still rarely compromised.

The writing is on the wall if you choose to read it . . .

Myself, I wouldn't let my dog take a dump in a box Windows shipped in - he'd probably catch something . . .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It only happens on this site. iPad, Chrome browser. When I scroll down the screen has a full width black curtain that moves from the bottom to top with the " rotate your screen" message. I rotate the screen and most often a full screen ad pops up. I can normally continue work for a minute to two before it happens again. If I switch to firefox it all works well. I don't use Safari.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Guess we'll just have to disagree on this one... I work on many hundreds of PCs each year and personally own well over 100 for my small business. I have operating examples of every Windows version from the very beginning, as well as OS-X, MacOS, iOS, Android, Chrome, Linux, DOS, UNIX, OpenVMS, RSX-11M and RT-11. It's tough to beat Windows 10...

·
Let it snow
680 Posts
It only happens on this site. iPad, Chrome browser. When I scroll down the screen has a full width black curtain that moves from the bottom to top with the " rotate your screen" message. I rotate the screen and most often a full screen ad pops up. I can normally continue work for a minute to two before it happens again. If I switch to firefox it all works well. I don't use Safari.
Hmm strange,

Can you grab us a screenshot of this?
I would suggest clearing your caches and cookies on your Chrome browser.
If that doesn't work, we'll continue to look into it.

Ed

·
Registered
22 Posts
Windows? Open? Is that like 'a little pregnant', or are the 'shrooms just kicking it?

It's a poorly designed turd, riddled with bad decisions and legacy stupidity . . .period . . .

Any other conclusion is nothing more than 'bronzing a turd' and pure fiction . . .

Mainline *nix was far, far,, more widely deployed in the enterprise until very recently, and Linux is a great competitor now, with the same security models. And guess what? Even whe it *was* the most prominent, it was still rarely compromised.

Myself, I wouldn't let my dog take a dump in a box Windows shipped in - he'd probably catch something . . .

Just retired after 24 years in IT, as a technician, no management ambitions whatsoever. I've been Microsoft Certified and also a member of a Linux User Group since the '90s and am fluent in both OSs (including Solaris) and have built many of each.

The last 10 years were at the same company, a very large, multinational corporation we've all heard of. I specialized in server monitoring meaning we added functionality to all servers, Windows and *NIX (and some HP-UX and even some AS400s) to provide reporting and alerting for their admins. Last count I had was 30,000+ servers and Windows were the overwhelming majority. Like 4 to 1 of all others combined. There are no Apple servers that I know of.

A couple things I've noticed haven't changed much in the past 27 years that I've actually been working these machines is that the IBM-PC/Microsoft complex has put the average person on the internet (in spite of the monopolistic behavior MS has been tried and convicted of). Linux remains (still) too fragmented to ever be anything more than a hobbyist's wetdream than a viable alternative for the user. Apple was the worst offender (or defender) of the elitest model of computing having the most closed architecture.

And Linux users still tend to post the most childish comments in defense of their hobby.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts