Snowblower Forum banner
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
ST824, Plat 24, Snow-Joe
83 Posts
The Ventrac 4520 is highly marketed in recent times. Take a look at there snow clearing attachments. I like that you can add an additional breaker auger above the main auger. I don't see traction being an issue either with the Argo type wheel setup. Anyone have thoughts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Snoquip supplies most of the local snow plow companies and gov agencies around tahoe and donner summit. Might be able to find some used blowers from them. Used Equipment
Also several of the plow companies have gone under and are selling their equipment. Seen on Craigslist a couple times as well as parked on the side of the rode with for sale signs. The company that does our driveway added a wheeled cat skid steer to their fleet of mt5’s. Works really well on the deep drifts since they can raise the blower.
I have cleared 8’ off my deck on donner summit with my honda 724, definitely a workout for me and the machine. Good luck finding a solution

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Snoquip supplies most of the local snow plow companies and gov agencies around tahoe and donner summit. Might be able to find some used blowers from them. Used Equipment
Also several of the plow companies have gone under and are selling their equipment. Seen on Craigslist a couple times as well as parked on the side of the rode with for sale signs. The company that does our driveway added a wheeled cat skid steer to their fleet of mt5’s. Works really well on the deep drifts since they can raise the blower.
I have cleared 8’ off my deck on donner summit with my honda 724, definitely a workout for me and the machine. Good luck finding a solution
Thank you so much for this. I called every powersports company between here and Reno today and nobody carries ATV or UTV blowers which really surprised me at least that I was able to locate. If people have other recommendations locally please let me know.

I have been scouring craigslist and Facebook marketplace and with the exception of blower attachments for skid steers I haven't really been able to locate much terms of good machines themselves.

·
Registered
572 Posts
blower attachments for skid steers I haven't really been able to locate much terms of good machines themselves.
You mentioned the skid steer before, but you also said your drive was icy. Is a wheeled skid steer (Bobcat S70) even viable in your situation? Or are you talking about using the TL240? Eight feet of snow in one night? How can any walk behind machine handle that volume? Do you advance, back up and let it avalanche down and attack it some more?

That Finnish machine was only shown in the video blowing maybe a foot or so of snow. How could something like that attack an 8' high wall 120' long (not to mention 18' wide). If that much snow falls in one storm, you need a surplus jet engine with an afterburner to melt it all.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Several of the RAMMY videos show it cutting through much deeper snow.

The RAMMY 155 PROFESSIONAL model has a 28 horsepower gas engine.

Single stage machines can handle that depth of snow.
We did it with 12 horse IHC Cub Cadet, Simplicity, Wheel Horse and Gravely 2 wheel tractors after snowstorms that buried our neighborhood in New York State.

Advancing into the snowpack with smaller machines with the spout raised high to break it up is how it is always done.

It just takes more time to do if you are not going out several times to clear the driveway or lane or if you are not there to clear it.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Single stage machines can handle that depth of snow.
We did it with 12 horse IHC Cub Cadet, Simplicity,
Wheel Horse and Gravely 2 wheel tractors after
snowstorms that buried our neighborhood in
New York State.

Advancing into the snowpack with smaller machines
with the spout raised high to break it up is how it is
always done.
I'm missing something here. I've used my HS828 to cut through 3' high drifts and clear wind packed snow. But a wall of snow 8' high by 18' wide by 120' long? Seriously, what do you do, advance, back off, let it fall down, advance again? Sounds sort of like digging a tunnel with a teaspoon or those fraternity kids scrubbing a ballroom floor with toothbrushes.

Or was the OP saying he gets 8' of snowfall over a period of days and that 20' was for a whole season? Then you could remove the snow in stages.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Rogers Pass and Stevens Pass are subject to huge overnight snow falls in two additional examples dumping an inch per hour or more simply because of the terrain and the high moisture Chinook winds coming off the Pacific Ocean. Any wind only compounds the snow fall depth.

If Lake Erie does not freeze it can deliver heavy wet snow across New York State from Buffalo to Albany if the winds coming from Canada or the midwest are strong enough.

You are not missing anything, using a small snow clearer you have to advance and back up to let it fall down and advance again until you have made your first pass then take half cuts.

A very good example of this are the yamaha snow blower videos posted on youtube.

We have had storms that have dumped that much snow and more and it takes time to clear them as the wind driven snow gets very heavy and you have to advance and retreat into the pile with the throttle wide open.

By advancing slowly you chip the snowpack into the smallest portion and the single stage snow blower rotor or the impeller paddles of a 2 stage snow blower throw it up and out.

If the snow is not cleared in several passes during the snow fall it builds up compacts and becomes more dense per cubic foot and takes longer to clear.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Firstly, you need a machine that can do it
Secondly, a place to throw the snow
Third a machine thay can do it quick enough, say less than 364 days.

The best consumer snowblower would have a hard time throwing snow far enough and the cement/slush at all. Where you throw it would quickly build up. Snow fencing...

A wind tunnel machine would struggle.
Large impeller/rotor, heavy-duty chassis, powerful energy...
Maybe an electric diesel traction something... minimum two foot thrower...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I'm missing something here. I've used my HS828 to cut through 3' high drifts and clear wind packed snow. But a wall of snow 8' high by 18' wide by 120' long? Seriously, what do you do, advance, back off, let it fall down, advance again? Sounds sort of like digging a tunnel with a teaspoon or those fraternity kids scrubbing a ballroom floor with toothbrushes.

Or was the OP saying he gets 8' of snowfall over a period of days and that 20' was for a whole season? Then you could remove the snow in stages.
That's not 20 ft for a season. You're looking at 60 ft plus for a season.

The big issue for me is that I have nowhere to put the snow. I have to carve a slot that maybe 30 ft deep. There's nowhere to put the snow. So you have to throw it up and over. That's my biggest concern with one of these ATV or small tractor snowblowers is that you're not going to be able to throw the snow out of the slot. I also doubt their ability to get through the berm every time the county plows the road. That berm may be 10 ft tall 40 ft wide and solid ice. You're not going to push through that or chew through that with an ATV snowblower I don't think.

And the big issue is also these storms happen instantly and if you're out of town for the weekend for your on a trip in Colorado when you get back... You might have 12 ft of snow that has been rained on and refrozen to move.

This is why I keep coming back to the idea of a skid steer with a blower. Because at least then you have the height of the arms to help shape the walls when they get over 30 ft high. I do worry about those walls slipping and crushing a car or burying a person and so being able to open them up would be an advantage.
This what it becomes: the road is a trench with snow walls 20ft+ tall. And that could fill in to the top in one storm as all the snow will blow in there.

Car Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
572 Posts
I would think a single stage blower will not throw the snow as high or far as a two stage. My HS828 will arc dry snow easily 30 - 35' in the air. A single stage machine would have to spin the auger nearly as fast to give you that kind of throw. If you are blowing in your own canyon the snow needs to go up and over the top - you know this and have said as much.

If you end up buying new machinery, I'd suggest you talk to one of the factory engineers about how high it will throw the snow. Will your skid steer lift the snowblower attachment more than 10' in the air?

I think someone else suggested everyone on your street chip in to buy a big commercial machine - that sounds like the best idea to me.

Our local municipality has always had rules about how much debris the city would haul for remodeling projects, and NONE if the work was being done by a contractor. A plumber friend always put toilets, sinks, hot water tanks out for the trash men and would meet them at the street with a cardboard box. As the guys were scowling at the pile of forbidden trash, he would ask them if they could take one more box - and open it to show new bottles of whiskey, beer, etc. They laughed, and said sure, and hauled everything away.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Water Snow Atmospheric phenomenon Geological phenomenon Freezing

Looking out my front door. That's a loader with a blower cutting down my driveway.
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Tire Car

You go out to dinner and come home to 4ft of snow in the driveway. That's easy with no frozen berm though.

Flash photography Gesture Recreation Asphalt Personal protective equipment

This is 1 storm. I had to tunnel into the front door. Without commercial plowing the whole home would be completely buried and inaccessible from a single storm.

Sky Snow Slope Branch Tree

That's a two-story home. The biggest problem is you run out of places to put snow because the snow comes all the way up to the roof. You just become encased in snow and so you need a very powerful blower to throw things in other places.

Snow Automotive tire Slope Black-and-white Freezing

You went to bed with a perfectly plowed driveway and when you get up to go to work in the morning this is your morning routine.

The rate is around a foot/hr when it's coming down But because of where we are it's usually double because of the effect of drifting snow.

Slope Automotive tire Cloud Snow Tree

This is pretty standard driving home at night, my driveway is on the left and I'm going to have to cut through that berm to get into it. The plow pushes up so much snow on the sides while they are trying to keep one lane clear. And it's making continuous passes It's filling in faster than the plow can keep up with it. Usually you need chains on all four tires.

Cloud Sky Snow Automotive lighting Automotive tire

And then of course after they clean it all up there's plenty of room but that may take days.

$7,000 for an ATV blower is fine If it's a solution. I'm happy keeping this even if I am able to get driveway plowing back because I will always need it for emergencies. Even with driveway plowing I'm spending hours battling the snow and so having your own bobcat and commercial driveway plowing is what a lot of neighbors actually do. You kind of need both if you're going to live here.

I guess I'm just really concerned that the Rammy everybody keeps recommending can actually chew through a 5ft high solid ice berm or move this much snow.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
I guess I'm just really concerned that the Rammy everybody keeps recommending
Not me... You need something much bigger. The concept of the neighborhood purchasing a commercial street snowblower would seem to be the better option.

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
Pictures are worth a thousand words to get an idea what you are dealing with.

IMHO I don't think an ATV/UTV (even with a track set up) and snow blower attachment has the balls or weight behind it to handle that amount of snow, especially EOD pile when left to turn into frozen solid cement snow.

I agree with others that you will need a large commercial piece of machinery, similar to the loader with a blower attachment or a large tracked unit with blower like many ski resorts use. Big $$ for sure, so if neighbours all chip in it might be financially doable.

I love winter and enjoy blowing snow, but there is no way I could live in your area dealing with that amount of snow, even if I was younger. It seems almost claustrophobic with those huge walls of snow and with the house buried to the eaves. You have to be made of sterner stuff, to live at that elevation during the winter.

I hope you can find a solution as winter is fast approaching. Let us know what you decide on doing and post some more photos of that crazy winter wonderland.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
The largest diesel Fuji track drive snow blower is the SQ 1235Dk-2.
It is a 2 stage snow blower that has been proven to clear 228 tons per hour.
According to Fuji it will throw snow almost 33 yards.

I have attached the catalog here.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Wow, hard to explain in words how'd I feel waking up to that snow every day if not every other day.

Its kind of early in the season but if storage is not an issue then I'd highly recommend looking into Ventrac snow removal equipment.

They have stand on snow blowers such as this one

or a tractor mounted unit,

Throwing distance is phenomenal and can help put snow over an already big pile.

I was going to suggest Honda HS1336 but seeing those picture I doubt it would help.

The ventrac units are expensive but are well worth the investment in my opinion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
What's wrong with one of these:
Snow Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Tree

They are cheap. Track or wheels on the used market they are $16k' ish for mechanically good ones and the blower attachments are all over craigslist for like $3k. And you can use it for other things and if you need to sell it it's basically maximally depreciated. Most of the ones I have bought I worth more now than what I paid for them 5 years ago.

I'm just nervous at absolutely nobody here has recommended them. A hydraulically driven snow blowers crap?

Regarding the neighborhood buying one, individual neighbors have their own and they aren't sharing. The reason why is nobody wants to take on the commitment of keeping other people's driveways clear. And then owning a piece of equipment with a bunch of different homeowners presents all kinds of liability problems.

·
Premium GOT Member
10,434 Posts
What's wrong with one of these: View attachment 202437

They are cheap. Track or wheels on the used market they are $16k' ish for mechanically good ones and the blower attachments are all over craigslist for like $3k. And you can use it for other things and if you need to sell it it's basically maximally depreciated. Most of the ones I have bought I worth more now than what I paid for them 5 years ago.

I'm just nervous at absolutely nobody here has recommended them. A hydraulically driven snow blowers crap?

Regarding the neighborhood buying one, individual neighbors have their own and they aren't sharing. The reason why is nobody wants to take on the commitment of keeping other people's driveways clear. And then owning a piece of equipment with a bunch of different homeowners presents all kinds of liability problems.
Seems to me a very viable solution but I don't have any experience with them.
I belong to the Serene Lakes Facebook group and they get some really big snow up there in the Soda Springs area. The snow removal people use these snow hogs or something like that. Tracless I believe. I know a guy up there that runs a snow removal business with big machines. Join that group and ask for suggestions.

maybe he would have a line on a good used machine but nothing as cheap as you show here. I'm sure you are pretty mechanically inclined to keep this kind of equipment going.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I would suggest you locate a FUJI snow blower dealer/importer and
ask how much the largest diesel model costs before you make a decision.

Its small enough to trailer but you would need a ramp trailer with electric brakes
as the largest FUJI model weight slightly over one ton.

They use a lot of heavy tracked walk behind snow blowers in exactly the
same conditions you have there and have used them for many years.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
What's wrong with one of these: View attachment 202437

Perfect, if anything you can get one with a bucket as most of them have a bucket as standard equipment, buy the snowblower separately, use the blower as needed and use the bucket to clean up and push the banks back if needed.

You posting this just made me realize one of my customers has one of these specifically for his snow removal needs with the snowblower attachment. I have been to his place a couple of times, his driveway is unpaved and at least a couple of hundred feet. Last we spoke about it was a few years ago and he had mentioned that he loved the thing as its got a heated cabin and has more power than he'd ever needs, then again he isnt dealing with what you are dealing with in your area.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts