Kubota M8540 narrow-low profile orchard and vineyard tractor
high output alternator
plus options
LED light bars front and rear
amber rotating beacons
front end loader for tractor
Michelin SNOPLUS front and rear tires with front and rear aquiline snow chains
loaded rear tires
Rear mounted Pronovost 2 stage 540 RPM P-860TRC with speed accelerator for impeller
plus options
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FUJJI 2 stage track drive kubota powered diesel snow blower
Model SQ1235DK-z plus options
===============================================================

I guess I just spent close to $150,000.00

YEEESH.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry I guess I should have been clear. By "plow quit" I meant the commercial plow service. Was a customer for many years and they just dropped everyone without warning. They cite the record increased occupancy from second home owners and lack of people willing to work. So they all can cherry pick. That's business rn. No one will take new customers. I've begged. Offered more $. People are weird here. Work, especially plowing, is a side hustle. Everyone wants to ski and smoke pot. People don't need work rn. I had a friend do plowing with a bobcat toolcat last year. Getting up at 3am, no sleep, missing all the good ski days... Never again. He looked so aweful. He'd fall asleep anytime he sat down in a chair. I get why they can't find anyone.

My Honda 828 is doing it rn. I have a friend with a 1332 who has offered to help if I need it. Cost him $6.5k apparently. To me that's 1/3 the cost of something that will make life easy.

But what I get ultimately is likely going to be a product of what comes available. I wish I had known this was going to be a thing this year. No notice at all.

I'll def take the name of your heavy equipment guy in Tahoe city. I'm pretty good with heavy equipment but if I need one I'm really gonna need one. I own a large excavator, track loader and dozer. I keep them all going without problems. Have a full machine shop 3h away and capability to weld/ plasma cut/ make hoses or do most things off the truck. I'm not really afraid of buying used heavy equipment or having to work on it. The looming spectare of a hose that could blow will keep me from overhead lifting but not owning. Service manuals and YouTube videos abound as the equipment so common. Parts are plentiful and cheap.

When I was buying my first piece of equipment I spent a year traveling to equipment auctions trying hundreds of items.

I learned everything at the auction... Was being sold that way for a reason. It was my job to figure out why. I got pretty good at that game.

I used to see so many commeral snow blowers dirt cheap. I wish I had bought one, brought it to the shop and restored it. Would have been fun to have. Placer county water district had some neat toys they got rid of a few years ago in the auction. They sold for scrap value. There was no market at the time.

Wheeled tractors for me are another story. I have never liked them. First thing I did was get rid of the tractor. They are scary on steep terrain, easy to roll and the ROPS is mediocre. In a skid you are locked into the center of a full strength metal cube. I feel safe. With joysticks even with injuries they are a breeze to run. They are designed to be flipped, rolled upright, go back to work and often do. I let my workers, friends use them. With tracks they are very stable and go places tractors can't.

I would never let anyone operate a tractor I owned. I see them as a death trap. If I lived in the flat lands I think they would be fantastic. My neighbor was killed when his Kubota wheeled tractor w rops flipped in a ditch along his driveway. He survived but slowly suffocated with the wheel pushing on his chest before anyone found him. If it rolls someone is for sure getting hurt and things are getting damaged. Now I know people will point out any piece of equipment can roll or kill. Cue the "Shake hand with danger" music. But I'd rather slide off the side of my icy driveway and roll down down the embankment in a skid than just about anything else.

I get you can't beat the performance of the PTO. I'm just inexperienced with them and afraid of them. This is not flat country. If it's icy you could easily slip off the side until you get a good berm. I'm amazed we haven't lost a car yet.

I've been seeking the advice of everyone, not just here. There are a lot of things that will work. It's just a matter of finding one of them. The conensus was a mini skid with high flow, cab, blower would be great and that inprob could get away even without high flow. A Rammy might work because my neighbor said they'd do my driveway if I'm away for a storm if I let them use it occasionally too. Then there's an infinite number of boutique options that show up from the old commercial market.

All have pro's and cons I'm still trying to understand. I appreciate hearing everyones experience and getting local beta from others who have shared that live in the area.

There is no question a ful sized tractor with a swivel seat and PTO blower/ box scraper on the front would do the neighborhood in no time... But I want something compact to live off my driveway I can move with a trailer.

If I got something that worked very well I might consider trying to offset the cost offering to do people's driveways will call on next door since there's quite a bit of desperation out there at the moment. But that's just a fantasy. I need to get my own situation sorted first.
Our local Bar owner/snow removal contractor has 6 of the big Highway Dept Rotary Plows. He got a deal at an auction. He doesn't use all of them, since he has 3 or 4 skid steers and several front end loaders. If you are interested, PM me and I'll see if he wants to move any of them.

·
Premium GOT Member
10,434 Posts
In our area we have to have options. I have back ups for back ups.
This Honda was a beast before I sold it. 1132 with an impeller kit. It was throwing snow over 100 feet ( measured )
I should have kept it.
I have 6 Honda's just in case. HS624,HS520,HS621,HS80,HS80.HS55

Attachments

·
Registered
ST824, Plat 24, Snow-Joe
83 Posts
I have read that folks think the new Hyundai snowblower looks mtd'ish but I see some of this blower in their design

In our area we have to have options. I have back ups for back ups.
This Honda was a beast before I sold it. 1132 with an impeller kit. It was throwing snow over 100 feet ( measured )
I should have kept it.
I have 6 Honda's just in case. HS624,HS520,HS621,HS80,HS80.HS55

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Our local Bar owner/snow removal contractor has 6 of the big Highway Dept Rotary Plows. He got a deal at an auction. He doesn't use all of them, since he has 3 or 4 skid steers and several front end loaders. If you are interested, PM me and I'll see if he wants to move any of them.
==========================================================================================

Tis a minor detail but they are all self propelled 2 stage 2 engine snow blowers.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
The only things that would come close are the largest walk behind diesel powered Japanese and Swiss track driven 2 stage snowblowers. They have the high rotation speed paddle fans at high idle/wide open throttle that can discharge all the material forward and upward at a high velocity.

Just like V plows they keep pushing forward and backing up to continue advancing into the snowpack.

The you tube video from last year shows the Fujji SF1244DK2 track drive snow blower which I think has the 4 cylinder kubota water cooled diesel in it for power. It has the weight for needed adhesion to create the needed traction and horsepower at the power take off to operate at a high speed of rotation to shred the snow into small portions with the serrated auger ribbons and can discharge it at a high speed of velocity just like the older single stage snow blowers on lawn tractors.

www. youtube.com/watch?v=iN8ge_OFGil

Product Automotive tire Wheel Toy Construction set toy

The first image is the newest Zaugg SNOWBEAST with the side disc cutters bright red paint and serrated open auger ribbons.
The Zaugg snow beast uses a spur gear to gear reducer/mating reversing gear to spin the upper open auger.

The second image is of the Zaugg BULLDOG which was no longer produced as of 2021.

The last image is one of the original Zaugg SNOWBEAST 2 stage snow blowers working in Europe cleaning a walkway with a tracked snow tractor above it, granted it is not 20 feet high but the idea is the same. You continue to advance forward discharging the snow up and away from you until you reach the end and either back up or turn around. In most cases such as clearing deep snow between greenhouses in Japan you just back up and dig into the pile and let it fall down and clear it away from the greenhouse hoop sheds as they can collapse inward if the snowpack is left there.

Snow Plant Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Plant Font Vehicle Chainsaw Toy
Snow Automotive tire Slope Vehicle Snow removal

If todays walk behind 2 stage snow blowers used shallow depth paddle fan housings and a high velocity paddle fan
they would not plug as much.

The problem becomes one of greater cost as it would require larger engine with a gear driven speed increaser or a non adjustable cog drive belt with 2 cog gears that would operate at a high R.P.M., with V belt drive speed reduction for the paddle fan to operate at 800-900 revolutions per minute with a cog v-belt. The worm to spur gearing and driven shaft would have to be larger to reduce the open auger speed to 1/3 or 1/4 of the high idle speed of the engine.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts