Snowblower Forum banner
181 - 200 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Wondering what other applications the mower motor is good for.
GCV160/190
Quiet, Lightweight Reliable Power

Honda GCV engines offer a quiet, yet powerful and lightweight combination for a variety of demanding applications. Ideal for residential mowers and pressure washers, these engines pack a punch.
Common Applications
  • Pressure washers
  • Lawn mowers
  • Agricultural equipment
  • Forestry equipment

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Wondering what other applications the mower motor is good for.
The pressure washer engines are configured a little differently than your typical mower engine, as the typical mower engine would be configured for a brake and ignition kill when the brake bail is released.

Since a pressure washer wouldn't have a brake bail, a pressure washer engine would have an off/off switch.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
The pressure washer engines are configured a little differently than your typical mower engine, as the typical mower engine would be configured for a brake and ignition kill when the brake bail is released.

Since a pressure washer wouldn't have a brake bail, a pressure washer engine would have an off/off switch.
I think they could easily be switched, though... I have a GXV120, GXV140 & GCV190 that would all be suitable for either vertical shaft application. The blade brakes come right off the shaft, and there's just a lead with a bullet plug coming from the coil to connect to the on/off switch or bail mechanism microswitch.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I think they could easily be switched, though... I have a GXV120, GXV160 & GCV190 that would all be suitable for either application. The blade brakes come right off the shaft, and there's just a lead with a bullet plug coming from the coil to connect to the on/off switch or bail mechanism.
Right now, I have two GCV160s that were pulled from blade brake clutch mowers. They were the original engines on the AYP-built mowers mentioned here and here

Both engines have compression and I got one of them to run. The problem is that they both have a cable-actuated choke system that's controlled by the throttle lever, and the throttle lever was was dodgy on both, so I couldn't set and unset the choke reliably.

Ultimately, I ended up yanking the engines+clutch systems on both mowers. One of the mowers received a newer GCV160 that has a bail mechanism and a fixed throttle (it's also about 6 years newer than the rest of the mower):

Wheel Tire Lawn mower Vehicle Automotive tire

The other remaining mower is slated to receive a Tecumseh engine from a recently junked Toro that's also configured for a bail setup, I'm just waiting for a suitable bail to be delivered from ebay. I already had a suitable brake cable.

As for converting those leftover engines with an on/off switch or bail use, it could probably be done, but not at a reasonable cost. It'd be far easier and cheaper for me to get entire mowers for free that already have the bail setup.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
i was there when it hit the metal scrap pile. spoke to the PO. he said the bar and chain were shot. Saw Made in USA, decided to take it home. just finished a deeper cleaning. changed plug. there is no air filter. carb and fuel line looks good. chain needs sharpening or replacement. everything else looks good.

kind of dies at idle, so will need hi/lo tweaking.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 · (Edited)
this morning:
update: the batteries are actually 4 Ah, not 2Ah like the ad shows. i ran both through the charger; one is at 4 bars, one dead. did a little research, and called Echo. they said they have discontinued the 58V (now 56V), and had some quality control issues with 58V supplier. recommended i register the product, then go to nearest dealer and see about a battery replacement (58V still in inventory).

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Can you convert that flashlight to modern bulbs and batteries... cool
while it would be pretty cool the cost of doing so would be way more than it is worth. i know i have looked into it. if they didn't use a sealed bulb it would help bring the cost down quite a bit. you can upgrade most standard flashlights with a led bulb that is very bright for about $5-10. i have upgraded a few and they are usually about $15-20 with a lithium ion battery and the stuff needed to make it work safely.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
i was actually just surprised at how much brighter the led bulbs were considering it is a drop in upgrade for most flashlights. you can also get the led bulb in many different voltages depending on the flashlight you plan on installing it in.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
most standard flashlights with a led bulb that is very bright for about $5-10.
I've upgraded all my Maglites with these LED bulbs. They work great!

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I've upgraded all my Maglites with these LED bulbs. They work great!
that would be the type i got in mine. it also seems pretty cool that they now have 4-24V versions so it would give you more compatibility with a greater amount of lights. i think i went for a 6-12V one when i did mine because i planned on using 8V

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
This light looks like it takes the standard 6v brick. If you have specific suggestions regarding battery/bulb upgrades, I’m all ears.

181 - 200 of 226 Posts