Snowblower Forum banner
201 - 220 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 · (Edited)
Great success working on the toro carb. Removed the bowl, which was pretty clean, sprayed it and the bolt, and up the jet shaft with brake cleaner. Cleaned the gasket. Reassembled, and after getting fuel through the system, fired up and ran well. Glad not to have to unmount the carb. Probably flip this mower and put the cash into my firewood fund!

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
This light looks like it takes the standard 6v brick. If you have specific suggestions regarding battery/bulb upgrades, I’m all ears.
you would have to pull the bulb out to make sure you get the right bulb but generally those are a lot more expensive since you are ordering a whole new seal bulb assembly plus you would have to build a or have built a battery holder specifically for that light. i would guess it may cost about $50-100 depending on how things are done.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Got to be a better way
like i said it really depends on how you do it. they are more expensive mainly because it is a hole sealed beam assembly. you are also having to build or have someone build a battery holder. you could likely do it a bit cheaper if you don't care about looks but still likely looking at about $30-40 mainly because the bulb itself is about $25-30 on its own plus another $5-10 on a BMS

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I responded to a week-old CL ad for a bunch of non-running mowers. It turned out that they were still available, but when I went to pick them up, the only way to retrieve them from the back yard to the driveway was to carry them up a set of stairs (about 25 steps). I picked the two that seemed to have the most promise. Yep, 2 more AYP-built RWD mowers:

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

The one on the left has a blade brake clutch (that would be the 3rd one w/in the past 7 months). It came with a bad clutch cable and a bad throttle cable, but I had both of those pieces from #1 and #2.

I got the engine to start after a valve adjustment, but it needs a clutch bearing. Good thing they are pretty cheap (it's your typical $10 6204-2RS bearing like you'd see on a Honda mower). I have already removed the bad bearing from the lower clutch assembly.

The one on the right needed its fuel tank and carburetor cleaned out. I got it it to start too, but it came with the wrong brake bail, and it's missing the toe guard.

So... this pair will cost me about $55 in parts, but I should be able to clear ~$100 per mower.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
funny, i can't seem to find good batteries for this lantern (battery type 918). classic blue ray o vac out of stock, as well as the duracell version. what'd going on!
Oops, the Ace search engine sent me the wrong item...

They're in stock at Ace Hardware here...
Rayovac Zinc Carbon 6-Volt 6 V 8.5 Ah Lantern Battery 2 pk $9.99
Item #3020732| Mfr #944-2RC

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Isn't the 944 a different size than a 918?

944:

View attachment 195924

918:

View attachment 195925
You bet! I asked the Ace search engine for a 918 and it sent me a pair of 944s and I didn't notice because of the shape of the picture... Doh!

Another idea: use a 12V battery (assuming the post distance matches) and a 4.4 " PAR36 LED bulb (or whatever diameter LED bulb matches).
Automotive tire Font Material property Automotive lighting Tire

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
funny, i can't seem to find good batteries for this lantern (battery type 918). classic blue ray o vac out of stock, as well as the duracell version. what'd going on!
I'm not sure if you want to pay almost $13 shipping for it, but I did find one for sale here:

I suspect these batteries aren't exactly in demand. You could also try checking out your local TrueValue hardware store.

Edit: Now you have me looking at vintage lantern flashlights on eBay!

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Didn’t realize a true 918 battery would be a unicorn. Pandemic?
They're available, just expensive and older. I think it's pretty much an end-of-life item. The advent of LEDs has made such large 6v battery packs obsolete, just like cell phones did to pagers, compact cameras, etc.

The 12v / LED bulb option would be cheaper ($16 + $13) and much brighter vs the cost of buying & shipping a rare 6V battery (about $40).

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
i need this cool looking battery! superman colors.
like i said it can get expensive quick depending on what route you go. if you want that you would likely be better off to 3D print a case that bolts to the flash light that houses everything including the batteries and then get it wrapped to look like that but. if your good with wood or metal working you might be able to make a imitation battery out of 1 of those materials instead.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
like i said it can get expensive quick depending on what route you go. if you want that you would likely be better off to 3D print a case that bolts to the flash light that houses everything including the batteries and then get it wrapped to look like that but. if your good with wood or metal working you might be able to make a imitation battery out of 1 of those materials instead.
are you saying they no longer make these!? went to walmart, last review on it was 2020.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
are you saying they no longer make these!? went to walmart, last review on it was 2020.
they probably don't but if your going to spend money on a old flashlight minus well upgrade it and run lithium ion battery. then you could just re-charge it as needed instead of having to hunt down a obsolete battery

201 - 220 of 226 Posts