Snowblower Forum banner
261 - 280 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Looks like 18 hp. Didn’t think the fiberglass top lid was right, but it fits, so I guess so. So, a 1965 Evinrude Johnson 18 hp Seahorse.
I had one of those, an 18HP Johnson with a white cowl. It was a great motor; had it on my 8' Tiny Titan hydroplane, The Orange Peel. Went like a bat out of h3ll. Looked like this one, only with orange topsides. I built it when I was in high school.
Plant Window Wood Tree Road surface

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
looks, ah, safe.
Not hardly, but I'm still here... I started off with a 5-1/2 HP Johnson on it, then a 15HP Evinrude, and then the 18HP Johnson. I stopped there, but others put these on theirs...
Automotive tire Font Gas Motor vehicle Asphalt

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Not hardly, but I'm still here... I started off with a 5-1/2 HP Johnson on it, then a 15HP Evinrude, and then the 18HP Johnson. I stopped there, but others put these on theirs...
Looks like fun, I doubt if I could fit in it. :)

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Another outboard. Elgin.
That's a nice old one; a sailboat motor, or perhaps a fishing auxillary for a big boat.. Note the extra long shaft and low pitch prop. Those were made from 1947 to 1951 by West Bend Aluminum Company of Hartford, Wisconsin. From the serial number, I would guess that's a 1948.

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Looks like fun, I doubt if I could fit in it.
Yeah, I was 6'4" 165lbs in high school. It was a tight fit. You had to carefully slow down; chopping the throttle would swamp it. I did that once in the Songo river right above the locks.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
That's a nice old one; a sailboat motor, or perhaps a fishing auxillary for a big boat.. Note the extra long shaft and low pitch prop. Those were made from 1947 to 1951 by West Bend Aluminum Company of Hartford, Wisconsin. From the serial number, I would guess that's a 1948.
thx for that tidbit. i have to do more research. might even have to join an outboard forum :(.

most of it is cleaning up well. however, that large blob of accumulated fuel is giving me trouble. its like old tree pitch. tried softening it with gas, but nothing yet. thinking about applying heat. any softening tips?

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Need to figure out gas/oil ratio
Prior to 1951 Sears recommended 3/4 pints of SAE 30 or 40 weight motor oil per gallon of gasoline for all motors. Starting in 1951, the specified mix was changed to 1/2 pint per gallon in all motors. All of the 1946 - 1954 motors should run fine on 1/2 pint per gallon...
Looks like the recoil is just a replaceable rope.
Yup,but that was a PRE-recoil rope...
Put a knot in one end and drill a hole in a 1" dowel and knot that on the other end of the rope.
Ruler Office ruler Cap Headgear Font

Reactions: Tony-chicago

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #278 ·
Prior to 1951 Sears recommended 3/4 pints of SAE 30 or 40 weight motor oil per gallon of gasoline for all motors. Starting in 1951, the specified mix was changed to 1/2 pint per gallon in all motors. All of the 1946 - 1954 motors should run fine on 1/2 pint per gallon...

Put a knot in one end and drill a hole in a 1" dowel and knot that on the other end of the rope.
View attachment 199163
Yes, you can see the rope pull in an early pic. Hasn’t used one before.

I’ve got 5/30 oil, think that will do for a test run?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·

View attachment 199163
Yes, you can see the rope pull in an early pic. Hasn’t used one before.

I’ve got 5/30 oil, think that will do for a test
They do not recommend using modern oil in those. 16:1 SAE 30 oil.
on another forum, this was said:

“ratio would be 100:1 and the oil used was sae 30 weight motor oil. The motor doesn't have roller bearings, they are babbit bearings. Two stroke oil of today will not lube it enough and size the bearings.”

261 - 280 of 298 Posts