Snowblower Forum banner
121 - 140 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Decided to tear into the st824 while I had everything out. Scraping, degreasing, minor surgery, etc. started in two pulls, forward and reverse fine. Now what??!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I don't think there will be much demand for the machine in it's current condition.
Most buyers aren't willing or able to put the sweat equity into painting and going through the clean up and maintenance of a machine.
The paint loss and rust makes this machine appear to be in much worse condition than it really is.
Unfortunately, even after painting the bucket and cleaning it up, it will probably not sell for more than a few hundred bucks.
I would tackle this project, as I have the time and enjoy bringing these machines back to life.
You may be better off parting it out.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
I don't think there will be much demand for the machine in it's current condition.
Most buyers aren't willing or able to put the sweat equity into painting and going through the clean up and maintenance of a machine.
The paint loss and rust makes this machine appear to be in much worse condition than it really is.
Unfortunately, even after painting the bucket and cleaning it up, it will probably not sell for more than a few hundred bucks.
I would tackle this project, as I have the time and enjoy bringing these machines back to life.
You may be better off parting it out.
I do have a really nice bucket from a 2000 824. Looks the same, but would mean a lot of work transferring the internals.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Working on the poulan. Great looking saw now.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
that said, i got amazing stuff this weekend, including one of many beautiful flat screen tvs, audio equipment, and a yet to be researched craftsman 4+1 mower thing with all the attachments!
I have the same exact model. MTD has been making that design for years. I flipped a self-propelled version last season for a tidy profit. A few weeks later, the one I currently own popped up for sale locally, and I bought it. The hose attachment isn't all that useful, IMO. Its best feature is the 24" wide front-mounted nozzle. I practically live in a forest and have to deal with leaves/pine needles/acorns/pine cones in the fall. For leaves and pine cones, it does a good job. Notsomuch with acorns and pine needles, but I leave that job for my Snapper Hi-Vac mower.

Plant Asphalt Road surface Grass Land lot

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
yup, see that every dump day! never considered a chipper. i usually just bring it to the dump, where it gets chipped by the employees every now and then. interesting device, but not sure i would use it. current MTD chippers that look a lot like this one retail for over $500. this one is missing a bag attachment, but thats not big loss.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
I have the same exact model. MTD has been making that design for years. I flipped a self-propelled version last season for a tidy profit. A few weeks later, the one I currently own popped up for sale locally, and I bought it. The hose attachment isn't all that useful, IMO. Its best feature is the 24" wide front-mounted nozzle. I practically live in a forest and have to deal with leaves/pine needles/acorns/pine cones in the fall. For leaves and pine cones, it does a good job. Notsomuch with acorns and pine needles, but I leave that job for my Snapper Hi-Vac mower.

View attachment 194292
good pic. how well does it pick up heavier objects like cones, acorns, sticks? and does it really shred it all? i actually haven't been able to get mine started yet. tried fuel in the plug hole, didn't fire, and that usually works. everything seems normal.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
More stuff I don’t need?
And what is that mesh stuff in the fuel tank???
is it a type of baffle to keep gas from leaking out of the tank cap?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
good pic. how well does it pick up heavier objects like cones, acorns, sticks? and does it really shred it all? i actually haven't been able to get mine started yet. tried fuel in the plug hole, didn't fire, and that usually works. everything seems normal.
Shreds leaves pretty well and it will also pick up pine cones. It has a chipper function but I don't really use it, because I have a dedicated wood chipper.

Also, verify that you are getting spark. The safety switch is a bit tricky and the one I currently own originally came with the switch bypassed by a previous owner. There should be a wire that's zip-tied to the fuel line that has what looks like the headlight connector on a snowblower. If you disconnect that wire, you will bypass the switch. Because it lacks a blade like a lawnmower, it can be a BEAR to pull-start. Quite a few youtube videos mention that you need to be a reasonably fit and storng individual to start them. I almost don't want to mention this because I'm sure you've done it, but make sure you have the slider set to choke.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
I thought I had hit the jackpot this morning. This Yard Force YF22-3N1SPVS-SC mower was sitting outside my door when I got to work. Sadly, it was just mis-delivered.
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Lawn mower

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Ok, not necessarily proud of this dump pick, but it caught my curiosity. A Toro Sportlawn 21. Comments?
a question. this will sit a while. the piston was unstuck using some penetrating oil. should i put something more viscous in the plug hole to let the piston soak and loosen more?

121 - 140 of 162 Posts