Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an 824 that was tossing belts under load and finally got around try to fix her. Started it up and saw a lot of play around the impeller shaft, so I split the blower and replaced the spherical flange bearing, which was in tatters, and the new bearing removed all up/down/side play on the shaft.

As I am putting things back together, specifically the big pulley on the impeller shaft, I notice that as I spin the impeller, the shaft will extend or retract about 1" fore/aft. This is not freeplay, and only happens as the impeller is spun and is consistent in action , so my thought is that it's supposed to be there, but I'm looking for confirmation before I button her up. The manual doesn't address this, but does caution "do not preload bearing". Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance...

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
Since you are a newbie here and can not post pics or vids yet. which I think is BLOODY STUPID. pm me for my e-mail if you should feel the need. anyhoo ALOHA from the paradise city.:smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally got around to opening up the gearbox and it looks like a retaining clip is gone (and likely ground to tiny bits) which allows the impeller shaft to slide out on the gears.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
surprised there is no gasket, but a thin bead of permatex or similiar should seal it up. i have been using JD corn head grease on some of my stuff lately, cant comment on long term effectiveness , but no complaints about the semi liquid stuff so far.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Any ideas as to what to use as gearbox lube/grease and how much?
I'm kinda an Ariens guy, but I use " 00 " grease in all my gearboxes. I've found that lithium greases and the like seem to be factory standard in most gearboxes, 30W or even 90W gear oil in older units. The problem I see soo often with these types of lubrication are as follows.....

Lithium grease is thick enough that after centrifugal forces caused by rotating shafts & gears pushes most of the grease away from the gears you only have a little lubrication left for for protection. I've torn apart broken & stripped gear boxes that had pristine grease all around the gears .... the stripped gears. Maybe it was not a factor, but I don't trust that type of lubrication.

30W or 90W oil is good for lubrication, but the seals leak over time and most owners do not check this critical fluid for proper operation.

" 00 " grease is thick enough to not leak out of a worn seal, but thin enough to still stay semi liquid in cold temperatures. Have been using it for many years and not one issue to date.
If you use the quart bottle or smaller tube version just warm it up before squeezing it in, will make the job easier.

Hope my suggestion is helpful. Good luck with your project.

Reactions: BKSager

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
I'm kinda an Ariens guy, but I use " 00 " grease in all my gearboxes. I've found that lithium greases and the like seem to be factory standard in most gearboxes, 30W or even 90W gear oil in older units. The problem I see soo often with these types of lubrication are as follows.....

Lithium grease is thick enough that after centrifugal forces caused by rotating shafts & gears pushes most of the grease away from the gears you only have a little lubrication left for for protection. I've torn apart broken & stripped gear boxes that had pristine grease all around the gears .... the stripped gears. Maybe it was not a factor, but I don't trust that type of lubrication.

30W or 90W oil is good for lubrication, but the seals leak over time and most owners do not check this critical fluid for proper operation.

" 00 " grease is thick enough to not leak out of a worn seal, but thin enough to still stay semi liquid in cold temperatures. Have been using it for many years and not one issue to date.
If you use the quart bottle or smaller tube version just warm it up before squeezing it in, will make the job easier.

Hope my suggestion is helpful. Good luck with your project.
:white^_^arial^_^0^_

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Sorry about that....... must of hit enter twice
:icon_cussing_black:
:bowing:

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
I combined an oil sucking gun and a caulking gun to make a " 00 " grease dispensing gun. Works well but if you try to squeeze the grease in too quick it will be forced around the plunger and get behind it. I wrapped the plunger with a piece of clothing and it stopped most of the bypassing grease.

Attachments

Reactions: Grunt

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
Use 80/90 weight non syn gear oil. or white lithium grease in the box. TORO specs HYLOMAR sealant to put the 2 halves back together.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOULD have it together now if ANY of my local dealers would have had it in stock... Coming by mail...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts