Snowblower Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
OK, thanks, I had about 4 hours on it between yesterday and today. I just changed the oil - synthetic. The old oil looked OK, not too bad.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
[ had QUOTE=tpenfield;578897]Thanks, the engine is pretty much 'plug and play' . . . definitely has more power than the old Tec HS-50.

Here is a video that I put together . . .

[/QUOTE]

No regrets re -powering with a Predator 212 cc engine. The only one thing I regret is I didn't do it sooner

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks, the engine is pretty much 'plug and play' . . . definitely has more power than the old Tec HS-50.
Good to know.

I am going to look at a Toro 521 with a bad engine today. Price is right for something with a bad engine and supposedly "mint" body.

·
Registered
184 Posts
All Done !!! :D

I finished installing the Predator 212 'Hemi' on my Toro 521. I had to make a couple trips to the hardware store and the auto parts store, but it all worked out. It seemed that my Auger drive belt was slipping, so my first few test runs into the snow bank revealed that fact.

Anyway, here are a few pictures from the day . . .

The mounting bolt pattern is the same as the Tecumseh HS-50 that was there originally

A common problem with the Toro machines is that the chute control shaft interferes with the left side of the engine . . .

So, a minor modification to the crank position is usually needed.

This is 1-1/2 " extension from the handle bar . . . it is a little tight to the engine valve cover, so I think I need to go another 1/2" making it 2" extension.

Even though there is no snow in the forecast today, and in fact it is raining, I did some clearing in the yard. . .

The machine throws heavy wet snow with quite some authority . . . about 25 feet, which it never could before.

Not sure if I will get the chance this year to try it out on freshly fallen/dry snow. It should throw that 40+ feet. With the old engine, I could get it to throw snow about 30 feet.

I took some video of the machine running . . . If I can post it to YouTube, I'll update it here as well.

Overall, I am glad I went the Predator route . . . hopefully, the engine will hold up. I am about 1 hour into the break-in cycle and have been varying speeds and giving the machine some running with moderate and light loads.

I did not see a break-in period spec'd out in the owner's Guide, but I assume it is about 5 hours, then an oil change. . . . I'm using synthetic 5w-30.
Impressive work! It looks like it belongs there.

Break in time, as I recall, is 3 hours. For break in consider using petroleum based oil for break in and then switch over to synthetic. It's simply because petroleum based oils have molecules that are of varying sizes. Picture a room full of beach balls, basketballs, hardballs, tennis balls and marbles. That variation helps with breaking in the newly machined surfaces. Synthetic molecules are very uniform in size. My race car engine builder was adamant on breaking in with petroleum oil.

Bill

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Nice job tpenfield. Did you re-jet the carb or leave as is?

Reactions: tpenfield

·
Registered
30 Posts
tpenfield, do you still have the old Tecumseh? If you want to sell it, I'd be interested. I'm up on Lowell.

I picked up an engine-less 521 yesterday... :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1984 Craftsman 5/22 with a Tecumseh 5 HP with a leaky head gasket. I'm considering repowering with the Predator 212. How are you guys rejetting the carbs? Do you buy a jet for what appears to be a Ruixing carburetor.

I actually have a new head gasket from an old parts box, but if the valves need work, and the manual starter needs work, I'm not sure that I want to continue with a lot of time in the old tecumseh.

I've found the go-cart parts like billet flywheels and rods, but I've yet to find details on the carb. Assuming you're going to run the engine as designed and not the intent to quickly pull it apart and modify.

I'm guessing winters in Minnesota will require rejetting. Idea's other than just drilling? Which seems a little crude, as I suspect you can go to large really quickly.

Thanks guys-

·
Retired Moderator
9,928 Posts
Welcome to the forum Carbon :D:D Please add a location to your profile when you get a chance.

You can buy jets or drill. With the micro drill kit it's pretty hard to drill to big.

Drill kits on ebay and jets from various places. I purchased some thru OMBwarehouse Predator 212cc carburetors and parts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I left the carb as is for now. Probably will re-jet in the Fall as I prep it for next winter.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
tpenfield, do you still have the old Tecumseh? If you want to sell it, I'd be interested. I'm up on Lowell.

I picked up an engine-less 521 yesterday... :D
Sure, I'd be happy to sell it. Probably will need a new muffler at some point.

I'm about 1/2 hour away. PM me for details.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am looking for an old 24" ariens to do a predator motor swap on. How do I avoid the double shafted tecumseh's? Is there a way, based on model or serial numbers, that I can avoid driving to peoples homes and pulling pulley covers?

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
@BOB,

I will be selling off 2 of the Ariens 924 series that I went through ... both run and work just fine ... I need the space back in my shop and am selling them for only 225.00 each ... you would be all set for winter with one of these. Ill get photos up here later today in case your interested.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@BOB,

I will be selling off 2 of the Ariens 924 series that I went through ... both run and work just fine ... I need the space back in my shop and am only selling them for 225.00 each ... you would be all set for winter with one of these. Ill get photos up here later today in case your interested.
Where are you located?

61 - 74 of 74 Posts