Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a 724 about 10 years ago. Model 38050 / Serial 0005827 (1980) / Tecumseh H70-130176E. Wasn't running right when I got it, so I installed a new carburetor. It has run very well since, starts first or second pull every time. But it has lost power over the past few years, and the motor siezed up on Sunday after we had another big snow here in NW Indiana. Yes, it was a bit low on oil.

I soaked the cylinder with Deep Creep and kerosene, got it to free up, but haven't tried to start it. So from reading the other posts on this forum, I have decided to repower with a new Predator 212 Model 69730 from Harbor Freight. With the 25% discount coupon, $103.77 delivered.

I have also ordered the 3/4" to 1" adapter bushing from this seller on ebay, 3 4X 1" Gas Engine Shaft Sleeve Adapter Bore Reducer Pulley Sheave | eBay

During the disassembly, I also found that I needed a new spherical bushing for the auger, and have ordered that as well.

I'll post additional information when I receive the motor and get the old Toro running again.

I've posted the motor or parts of it for sale, see http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/snowblowers-sale/18913-tecumseh-h70-130176e.html#post189441

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
The Predator is a great swap for old 7hp, you will find it has a bit more power than the old H70. Most shops don't want work on them, but contrary to what some others might say, parts are available for it so it's not just a throw away motor. Nice easy motor to work on, I suggest switching the plug right away and either opening the main jet a touch, or ordering the next size up jet, .32 seems to be the jet of choice although others are using larger jets.

Henry

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, Henry. What plug would you suggest?

From what I can find on the internet, the stock jet is a 0.028"

OMB has this jet kit, includes a 140 emulsion tube and two jets: 0.036 (#9) and 0.037: Jet kit for Honda Clone engines

Would you suggest this kit if I experience cold weather running issues?

On another site, it was posted that one should use a #65 (0.035") bit to ream out the stock jet. It was also suggested that the idle jet could be reamed out with a #77 (0.018") bit for better starting.

Also, would you suggest that I block off some of the recoil starter vents to reduce air flow to the motor in cold weather operation?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I switched to the NGK BP-6ES plug and it gives a smoother response when throttling up or down.

The engine is almost sure to surge out of the box, so some rejetting should be done to allow it to run without choke. It really just needs to be opened a little bit to cure the surging but I think you will be ok up to .037 without having to change anything else. I went a bit too far with mine, I used a 1mm bit on mine which translates to .039 and it runs rich. I have ordered the Mega jet kit from OMB and plan to play with the different sizes to see if I can notice any differences.

Some icing may occur on the outer components of the engine depending on conditions in your area. I have found the most vulnerable to be the spring that runs under the gas tank to the throttle linkages. When it freezes you can't throttle up or down.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Only block off recoil if you find you are making oil, not evaporating out condensation.

I would not mod anything to help it start. These motors start very easily.

What's a spherical bushing? I guess I have just never come across one before.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I switched to the NGK BP-6ES plug and it gives a smoother response when throttling up or down.

The engine is almost sure to surge out of the box, so some rejetting should be done to allow it to run without choke. It really just needs to be opened a little bit to cure the surging but I think you will be ok up to .037 without having to change anything else. I went a bit too far with mine, I used a 1mm bit on mine which translates to .039 and it runs rich. I have ordered the Mega jet kit from OMB and plan to play with the different sizes to see if I can notice any differences.

Some icing may occur on the outer components of the engine depending on conditions in your area. I have found the most vulnerable to be the spring that runs under the gas tank to the throttle linkages. When it freezes you can't throttle up or down.
I did this to prevent icing of the govenor linkages. It is made from a sheet of aluminum and I made a sheild with it to keep ice out of the govenor linkages

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered the OMB jet kit referenced below. I'll install the emulsion tube, 0.036 jet, and NGK plug referenced by Henry below prior to start up. Better to do this before gassing it up.

Many thanks for your advice based experience with this Predator engine.

Sort of like a heart transplant on this old Toro. Or maybe I'll have to call it a Torochinda (TORO CHIna hoNDA) from now on?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have yet to see a predator swap where the owner wasn't quite pleased with the performance upgrade. I must have gotten very lucky with mine. It stops hunting when it warms up so I haven't had to do anything with my jet.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I have yet to see a predator swap where the owner wasn't quite pleased with the performance upgrade. I must have gotten very lucky with mine. It stops hunting when it warms up so I haven't had to do anything with my jet.
Harbor Freight Predator engines are jetted correctly for summer running. They are emissions engines and they are already jetted lean and cold weather denser air makes them run even leaner

·
Registered
370 Posts
Harbor Freight Predator engines are jetted correctly for summer running. They are emissions engines and they are already jetted lean and cold weather denser air makes them run even leaner
I understand that, that is why I feel it is noteworthy that mine does not hunt. Maybe it's because I bought mine shortly after they switched over from the blue greyhounds.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Or maybe a Preda-Toro??
I like preda-toro. I just finished restoring a toro 3521 with the 6.5 predator. It seems like a great motor so far. I have noticed the surging when cold, and I happen to have a carburetor Rheem kit. I'm looking forward to opening it up. Good thread.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I ordered the OMB jet kit referenced below. I'll install the emulsion tube, 0.036 jet, and NGK plug referenced by Henry below prior to start up. Better to do this before gassing it up.

Many thanks for your advice based experience with this Predator engine.

Sort of like a heart transplant on this old Toro. Or maybe I'll have to call it a Torochinda (TORO CHIna hoNDA) from now on?

You may want to read this thread. The OP is having trouble with the set-up you ordered.

http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/craftsman-snowblowers/16826-repower-536-909800-8hp-tec-212cc-predator.html

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good reference, Henry, thanks for the link.

The motor is supposed to arrive early next week. I'll set it up with the 0.036" jet and the 140 emulsion tube, without the air filter element and see how it starts up in ~32 Deg F conditions.

I'll report what I find.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does anyone have a dimension for the Predator engine base plate thickness? I suspect I will need to purchase longer bolts.

The stamped base plate for the Tecumseh is 1/8" thick.

If someone could measure the thickness of a Predator 212 engine they have, it would let me purchase the new, longer mounting bolts so I can have them on hand when I mount the engine, possibly tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
279 Posts
The mounting plate is 3/4".

I used 5/16 x 1-1/2 bolts when I mounted mine, but I cut off and drilled out the original studs. This left the original tac welds in place on the underside of the mounting surface.

Others have used 5/16 x 1-1/4, but they hammered the studs out, breaking off the tac welds underneath.

I'm not sure if Toro & Ariens used different gage steel for the mounting surface, but the 1-1/2" should leave plenty of room for variance.

Henry

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Henry.

On my 724, a wider 1/8" plate was bolted to the Tecumseh engine. The outer hole pattern on this plate matches the hole pattern on the snowblower and the hole pattern on the Predator engine.

The 1/8" plate bolts to the snowblower with 5/16" x 5/8" bolts with nylon locking nuts.

So if the Predator engine mounting plate is 3/4" thick, then I need 5/16" bolts that are at least 1 1/4" long, as you described.

The engine should arrive later today, we might get up to 10" of snow here tonight. I hope the impeller shaft bearing I ordered on ebay arrives today so I can complete the assembly.

·
Registered
370 Posts
For my ariens refurb I used 5/16 by 1-1/4" bolts with lock washers and they were the perfect size.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts