Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with this? I did an engine swap this summer (fun project) and wanted to gauge everyone's experience with fuel types for this engine. I have a can of the Trufuel already so no cost to me either way.

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
My son exclusively uses TruFuel in all his OPE and swears by it...

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
All my life, well, as far back as I can remember, all my 5-gallon gas cans get 2oz of Stabil and 2oz of SeaFoam .... never an issue, and I leave fuel in all my equipment .... I do periodically start my equipment. That includes my Predator on one of my blowers I got for free, which I restored.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
You'll be fine running it. There are many opinions on what fuel to buy and what additives to use. TruFuel can definitely last longer in the tank, but I do not personally think it is necessary on a regular basis. If you don't use the equipment much, and it sits for long periods of time, then TruFuel can help. As Oneacer said, periodically starting the equipment will help maintain its readiness as well.

Reactions: BullFrog

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I put some of the 4-cycle Trufuel in yesterday. Ran very well and the engine had a nice break-in. Was impressed with the Predator. I had seen many articles and videos on Ariens repowers and my initial thought is that I made the right decision.

·
Registered
1981 Canadian tire “mastercraft” made by MTD with tecumseh engine HM-80 1155334N
434 Posts
I used “premium” fuel and seafoam only, no stabil. Gummed carb. Turns out my premium in fact had 5% ethanol.

I use trufuel exclusively now. No stabilizing, seafoaming, rotating. Just set it and forget it.

my chain saw sat for 2 years. Trufuel was already opened so it was actually 2-1/2 year old trufuel. Started right up. I’m a believer.

it’s pricey, but worth it to me. The chainsaw, snowblower, and weed trimmer are used infrequently it’s not expensive.
i still use it in the mower.

you could always use regular stabilized fuel and then drain it and use trufuel,for storage (if you don’t want to store dry.

id also like to point out that if your gas station is “one hose pick your grade” make sure you put a few bucks in your car first. if the guy before you used ethanol fuel you will get a bit in the gas can

·
Registered
958 Posts
Thanks everyone. I put some of the 4-cycle Trufuel in yesterday. Ran very well and the engine had a nice break-in. Was impressed with the Predator. I had seen many articles and videos on Ariens repowers and my initial thought is that I made the right decision.
I did two Predator swaps last year. I love my Compact 24 with the Predator 6.5, blew snow better than my Delux 28 did, so I sold that one to a neighbor kid. Sure wish the Predator 6.5 came with a starter already built in, I'm kind of lazy.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Seems all fuel sold here now contains ethanol. It used to be Shell premium was ethanol free but for a few years now no longer label it as such on the pumps so I add Stabil to the fuel can. For the OPE off-season storage I run the tanks empty then run a bit of Trufuel through the engines. I've been using Trufuel for off-season storage 3 years now and like it. Yeah it costs a bit more but if worse comes to worse I'll just sacrifice a strawberry sundae to make up for it.

But for the Stihl leaf blower this year I'm changing things up. I'm going to start using Motomix exclusively year round. The blower gets used weekly during the summer but only for short periods of time to sweep the grass clippings off the sidewalk so one tank of gas last a long time. During the winter it depends on the snowfall but certainly not as much. I'll see how it goes but that's the plan for now. Hopefully buying premium and mixing oil and Stabil for it will be a thing of the past.

·
Premium Member
1979 (or so) Toro 724 (38050) and 2018 Ariens Platinum 24
1,564 Posts
Seems all fuel sold here now contains ethanol. It used to be Shell premium was ethanol free but for a few years now no longer label it as such on the pumps so I add Stabil to the fuel can. For the OPE off-season storage I run the tanks empty then run a bit of Trufuel through the engines. I've been using Trufuel for off-season storage 3 years now and like it. Yeah it costs a bit more but if worse comes to worse I'll just sacrifice a strawberry sundae to make up for it.

But for the Stihl leaf blower this year I'm changing things up. I'm going to start using Motomix exclusively year round. The blower gets used weekly during the summer but only for short periods of time to sweep the grass clippings off the sidewalk so one tank of gas last a long time. During the winter it depends on the snowfall but certainly not as much. I'll see how it goes but that's the plan for now. Hopefully buying premium and mixing oil and Stabil for it will be a thing of the past.
I guess it depends on where you are . . . in both TX and MI, I can easily find zero ethanol at the pump, which is every bit the same as the overpriced little cans . . .

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Seems all fuel sold here now contains ethanol. It used to be Shell premium was ethanol free but for a few years now no longer label it as such on the pumps so I add Stabil to the fuel can.

In Ontario the premium fuel at Canadian Tire Gas bars is non ethanol (labeled on the pump), supposed to be nation wide as well.
You might want to see if they offer non ethanol in Alberta?

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
I guess it depends on where you are . . . in both TX and MI, I can easily find zero ethanol at the pump, which is every bit the same as the overpriced little cans . . .
Wish we could here... There's only one station listed for E0 in the greater Portland area, and it's 8 miles from my office or over 5 miles from my house. And apparently they don't always have it at the pump; sometimes just in cans. The place next door to my office that sold VP Racing Fuels in cans moved.

·
Premium Member
1979 (or so) Toro 724 (38050) and 2018 Ariens Platinum 24
1,564 Posts
We have major stations with it on every pump island - typically 91 or 92 octane, zero ethanol. Hard to say, but it may be due to the amount of outdoor sports in the two areas - boating and snowmobiles, but in my town in MI, it is in most stations . . . North of Dallas, Buccees' (a huge, typically 80+ pump facilities) has it on at least 50% of pump islands (They may alternate with E85, I don't recall . . . )

Cost more, but still dirt cheap compared to the little cans! Even with current prices, I think it was only about $6 to $7 per gallon the last time I bought in July.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I ran 1 can of Trufuel in my Predator because it was at work and I didn't want to haul a can of gas there.
Aside from that, it's had 2 tank fulls of 87 octane E10.

No stabilizer.
No baloney.

I do need to change the oil again though before winter and get the headlights hooked up.

There's nothing wrong with Trufuel, I just have issues paying $32 a gallon especially for a 420CC engine.

·
Registered
866 Posts
In Ontario the premium fuel at Canadian Tire Gas bars is non ethanol (labeled on the pump), supposed to be nation wide as well.
You might want to see if they offer non ethanol in Alberta?
Where I live Canadian Tire no longer has a gas bar so no longer an option.

• Sad
Reactions: Ziggy65

·
Registered
866 Posts
Yes it depends on where you live. Costco used to have non-ethanol premium as well but no longer. Who they buy their fuel from is from who they can get their best contract with. Right now it appears to be Husky Oil.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here in the province of Quebec, Sonic (COOP) gas stations have their premium fuel without ethanol. Used to go to Shell but yeah, they have ethanol in it nowadays. Also, premium fuels at Costco are ethanol free. My 2 snowblowers get this fuel along with seafoam mix all year long, no drying of carbs at the end of season. My Honda Versattach engine get 4 cycle Trufuel all year and the Stihl leaf blower get 2 cycle Trufuel. Everything is great so far.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Since ethanol-free gasoline is not readily available where I live, I always just make my own. The process is pretty easy - just do a YouTube search for various directions and tips. I suggest you get yourself a good reusable container that is somewhat translucent - with a screw cap on top and a spigot at the very bottom. Although small engines run fine on 87 octane, ethanol adds ~2 points to E10 gas. Therefore, purchase a few gallons of (87 + 2 =) 89 octane gas - enough to make it worth your effort, but not to fill the container since you will want to tip it with the cap a bit unscrewed to let in air while you are draining off the ethanol/water. IMO, it is preferable to use distilled water to perform the separation. Yet, purified bottled water (or any water) will do.
The maximum quantity of water needed needed is ~½ the volume of the ethanol in the gasoline to be removed. Example: Assume 1 gallon of 10% ethanol gasoline contains 1/10 gallon ethanol (= 12.8 oz or 378.5 mL). Thus, use ½ of that volume = 6.4 oz or 189.3 mL of water. More water can’t hurt, but do not use less than 4 oz water per gallon of gasoline. Use ~4 drops food coloring in the water so you can easily see the two liquids and separate them efficiently when you are draining off the ethanol/water mix. One separation is fine, but two consecutive separations is not so hard and that 2nd separation may achieve a more complete ethanol removal if the first separation wasn't complete.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts