Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm in the process of fixing my pressure washer and was hoping someone on here knows a lot more about them than my self.

Tried another forum but didn't have much luck so I'm turning to the place I trust!

Last summer the unloader stuck shut and almost stalled the engine. I pulled the unloader apart and decided it was best to hunt down a replacement. I have that and plan on getting an inlet sediment filter, new quick couplers and a pressure gauge to set the new unloader. Besides that, I need to pull the rims off and sand/paint them and hopefully get the beads to seal but that's minor.

Last night I pulled it out and ran pump protector into it just to be sure it wouldn't freeze over the next few days.

Is there anything else I should be concerned about on an older machine? What are the chances of something failing badly on the pump? My concerns are some of the o rings in the unloader were in less than great condition. Some were good, some were bad. It looks like a new pump goes for $300+ so I'd rather not do something that risks destroying it.

It's also my understanding, that I should never adjust the unloader to control pressure? Apparently it should always be set at 2600 PSI on this machine and I should only switch tips? Wouldn't lowering the unloader's set pressure be easier on the pump?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
When I put mine away for any length of time I fill up the pre-filter housing with rv antifreeze, flip it upside down and pull the engine over until it squirts pink out the pump (hose removed).
Cheap insurance from freezing and also adds rust inhibitors.

$12 at HomeDepot

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
+1 - - keep it full of the pink stuff until spring. Otherwise guys like me hunt down bad PW's and steal the Honda off them for blowers! ;>)
That was the previous plan for this.
I was going scrap it and put the engine on the blower, but I fixed the Tecumseh so we decided to put some money and time into the washer and put it back into use.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Boy did this all turn into a nightmare.
Installed the new unloader, it worked for a bit but failed again. Found out there was a crack in the hose that was leaking and keeping the unloader from going into bypass.

Next was all of the O rings in the quick couplers and then realized a low pressure seal was leaking.

To pull the seals out of the pump I ended up damaging a few front piston guides and a few rear ones. Probably due to both a lack of the right tools (a slap hammer with the proper end) and the fact it has not been a apart in a very long time.

Everything is here except the new rear piston guides which are coming tomorrow.

After I put the pump back together with all new seals and slap the new hose on it I expect things to work properly. I hope.

The good news is, I learned an awful lot about triplex plunger pressure washer pumps and their unloaders. :) The bad news is I've dumped around $250 into the project including the new hose, seals, unloader etc. The fact such a machine goes for $900-1000 makes me feel better.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
That's what's been my experience with them.... slippery slope to expensive parts. I only fix the engines on them. If the pump parts are bad I just deliver the bad news and move on. I can usually find other PW's with bad engines to rob for parts.....

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what's been my experience with them.... slippery slope to expensive parts. I only fix the engines on them. If the pump parts are bad I just deliver the bad news and move on. I can usually find other PW's with bad engines to rob for parts.....

Yeah.......
There's nothing expensive on a snowblower that fails. :icon_smile_tongue:

The pump would've been $52 to replace all of the water seals in assuming I had the right tools to pull the piston guides out. Hoses are hoses, so I'm not sure if I can count that. The unloader can be had for $80-90.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I get PWs with bad pumps all the time. Buy a new Pump on ebay, I Just got one for $60 shipped. Problem Solved. Or-You can waste time and money on the old one.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I get PWs with bad pumps all the time. Buy a new Pump on ebay, I Just got one for $60 shipped. Problem Solved. Or-You can waste time and money on the old one.
Really?
Where have you seen an Annovi Reverberi XM series pump for that kind of money? My specific model is XMV3G27.

I would've gladly bought a new pump if I could find one for less than $300.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Just get a pump that matches the size of the crank, and don't worry about the brand. It makes no sense to buy the same brand pump that failed you.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just get a pump that matches the size of the crank, and don't worry about the brand. It makes no sense to buy the same brand pump that failed you.

The pump failed me because of many years of neglect, mainly by it's previous owner. All pressure washers should be stored with RV antifreeze (in cold areas) or water in them to protect the seals.

There's no reason I'd buy a cheaper pump when I can rebuild a high quality pump for the same money or less.

Axial cam pumps are not even remotely in the same league as radial plunger pumps. An axial cam pump is dead in 500 hours, mine will only need it's oil changed. :wink:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Anybody need an 8 HP Honda? I see one cheap from a dead pump...... I am debating on how much I need another dust collector! I can find a blower to put it on, but I am drowning in blowers I couldn't sell this year. Would make a butt kicking go cart engine for sure......

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anybody need an 8 HP Honda? I see one cheap from a dead pump...... I am debating on how much I need another dust collector! I can find a blower to put it on, but I am drowning in blowers I couldn't sell this year. Would make a butt kicking go cart engine for sure......
I'd love to get an 8HP Honda to put on my Ariens!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bought an electric pressure washer and mounted it up in the joists in my cellar. It never freezes and one less small cranky engine to fuss with. I have 100 feet of hose.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

So,
I need to man up.

Just went to put it back together and noticed two hair line cracks in the plunger that was leaking.

Dumping more money into it. I'll now have around $180 into the pump.

So...

You were right. Even at $315 I should've bought a new pump because I still won't know for sure if it's going to be fixed but I'm taking the risk. I hope I'm making the right move.

:icon-cheers:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts