Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple weeks ago I scored a "new" pro 32 off of Craigslist. A couple bought it for their house in New Hampshire last September thinking they could keep up driving back and forth to Mass. The ordeal ended up taking too much time so they decided to hire a plow guy and cut there losses. They paid $2500 and we're asking $2100. Eventually I got it for $1800. Was only used twice with not a scratch in the auger housing or chute.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
A powerful machine with the 420 engine. $2,500 is what SnowBlowersDirect is asking, at $2,100 it was too much if you can buy locally with a guarantee at $2,500 but for $1,800 and planning to buy a new machine, that's a good deal.

No need for a backup now?

·
Registered
871 Posts

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Very nice, congrats!

From what I remember reading, no, the warranty would not transfer to the new owner.

Now, if you had a receipt, and/or it wasn't registered to the previous owners (I've never bought new equipment from an Ariens dealer), you might have a chance.

·
Super Moderator
2,673 Posts
Now, if you had a receipt, and/or it wasn't registered to the previous owners (I've never bought new equipment from an Ariens dealer), you might have a chance.

That is a good suggestion, see if you can get the receipt at a minimum. I had something similar on a damaged used compressor I bought (less than a month old when the tank cracked and wasn't used for 2 years). Turned out there was still warranty on it (3 yr warranty) and with the receipt the manufacturer fixed it for the cost of labor. Ended up with a virtually new 60 gal compressor for less than 1/3 of new cost (including the price I paid for it in the first place).

You never know, you might luck out too on your blower if you have the receipt on it if you ever need warranty service done on it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do have the original sales receipt. I could contact Ariens to see what they say. Typically I like to do all my own maintenance and repairs but obviously if something major happens early on in the machines life it's nice having the warranty. Worst comes to worst I'll take it to the dealer and "play dumb" haha.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I do have the original sales receipt. I could contact Ariens to see what they say. Typically I like to do all my own maintenance and repairs but obviously if something major happens early on in the machines life it's nice having the warranty. Worst comes to worst I'll take it to the dealer and "play dumb" haha.
You most likely won't have any issues with it.
Just use fresh gas and change the oil, store it in a dry place.....

·
Super Moderator
2,673 Posts
I do have the original sales receipt. I could contact Ariens to see what they say.

Sometimes you might want to do it slightly on the sly. Maybe ask something like "I'm looking at buying a used machine and wonder if the existing warranty transfers with the machine". That way you're just asking a question and aren't committing rather than "I bought this machine and what happens to the warranty?"

If you find out it doesn't transfer but the receipt is unnamed, it still could work to your advantage unless something was sent in from the dealership.

Just a thought. Not trying to cheat here, just exploring options.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts